Nobody likes a speeding ticket. Getting one can really ruin a good day. But, did you know there are alternatives to just accepting the ticket and paying it. In fact this could be the worse thing you could do. In states where insurance rates are high accepting a ticket and paying it could well raise your insurance even higher.
This article is all about idea and different methods you can try so that you will not get a ticket, and ideas on what to do after you get one. If you have a ticket read on, you may get an idea on how to take care of that ticket so it doesn't show up on your record and your insurance doesn't go up.

Things You Will Need

Obviously, you have have gotten a ticker,

Or you want to be prepared if you ever get one.

Step 1

The first thing to remember is not to panic. It's easy to forget this when the sirens and lights go on and they are right behind you, especially if its your first time getting pulled over. Just remember that the person behind you is just doing his job, they are not out to "get you". Try to keep the heart from pounding, relax and pull over at the first opportunity.

Step 2

Ask for a warning.
Always be polite to the police officer pulling you over. If you are rude at all the police officer could identify you as a trouble maker and may think its appropriate to take further action. Just be polite and after they tell you what they pulled you over for, just ask them if you can get a warning. You were intent on driving safely you forgot to watch your speed and let it get out of hand. Promise to slow down.

Step 3

Ask to see the Radar reading.
If asking to get off with a warning doesn't work then you have other options. If the police officer was driving behind you and matching your speed then this won't be an option, but if they "caught" you with a radar, or laser gun then you can ask them to see the reading. Do it politely. Sometimes they may not be able to show the reading to you and then you always have an out. They should be able to prove to you how fast you were going.

Step 4

Get Deferred Adjudication
Deferred Adjudication is when you pay court fees and promise not to get another one for a certain amount of time, usually 6 - 12 months. This one may be a little hard than step 4. If you get another ticket you will have to take care of the first one and the current on. So, you'll have 2 tickets. If you can get by for a year with out getting a ticket then this is a good deal. You may have to go to court and speak to the judge about this one. Sometimes, depending on the city, or county where you got the ticket they have that option right on the ticket. Use your best judgment as to which option your will take.

Step 5

Ask to do Community Service
If you don't want to do deferred adjudication then you can ask the judge if you can do some community service in order to "get rid" of the ticket. If you are already active in your community this could be something you are doing anyway, so it will not be an extra burden.

Step 6

Go to Traffic School.
Sometimes the judge will let you off if they have a class that teaches driver safety. This one is a little hard because it's usually for 8 hours or so on a Saturday. This can be difficult when Saturday is the do the errands day. If this is a good option for you then take it, otherwise go for the fix all in step number 7.

Step 7

Get a lawyer.
Find a good lawyer to "take care" of the ticket for you. Look in the phone book or ask some friends who they use to find a good lawyer. It may cost you more than the ticket, but it will be a lot cheaper in the long run because yourinsurance won't go up. If you get tickets on your driving record your insurance is guaranteed to go up. The price of a lawyer will be cheaper than the difference in your insurance going up. So, its cheaper to hire a lawyer. A good traffic lawyer can make a ticket go away very easily. It might take a few months, but the ticket will go away.

Step 8

One last tip, and this will be a good one. Since you've already got your judgment (when you got the ticket) Take your checkbook in hand, with a pen and go into court. When your name is called just tell the judge immediately that you are here to pay the ticket in open court, if he would just tell you the amount you are prepared to pay the ticket immediately! If he tells you an amount, write the check out immediately. He'll most likely tell you to pay the clerk. Ask if you can pay the clerk and then thank him and go pay immediately. If he tells you an amount, write the check and give it to him. This is absolutely the best strategy. See what happens. Since you didn't argue the matter and paid in open court this ticket will not go on your record. It will be good. I know of a number of people who have tried this and the ticket never appeared on their record.

Getting a ticket doesn't have to be an unpleasant experience. There are a lot of policemen out there who take their work very seriously, but there are also some who are willing to talk to you and be your friend. Hopefully you'll get someone who you can be friendly to and they may let you off with the warning. There is another thing you can try in all this, but it's definitely the harder way. Understand that the officer pulling you over has to get you under their jurisdiction. If you only ask questions and never give up any of your property (driver's license), without fighting or arguing, they you will not be under their juridiction. They may still put you in cuffs and put you in the car, but they can't really, "Legally" do anything to you without having juridiction over you. Just something to think about.

Good luck on taking care of that ticket!

Tips & Warnings

* Dont be a fast talker, in other words, don't try to convince or sell the cop on anything.

* Be courteous to the policeperson. They are out risking their life for their job. You should respect that.

* Know that there are ways to take care of the ticket without just paying for it and getting it on your record. Believing it will be taken care of without it going on your record is a good first step.

* Never argue or try to justify yourself to the cop.