start now to avoid getting a layoff notice
Getting a layoff notice in todays economic climate isn't something that just happens to the 'other guy' it's happening to lots of people. There are some simple things you can do to keep yourself out of the layoff radar. Keep in mind all it takes is to annoy one manager or get caught doing what your not supposed to be doing to put yourself on the layoff notice list. Follow these simple steps below to keep your name from coming up during those dreaded budget meetings.
These tips are effective and easy to do, they'll be more effective in a smaller office environment but should work just about anywhere to help keep you from getting a layoff notice.
Simple steps to avoid getting a layoff notice
- Keep yourself busy and do your job. If you have nothing to do then ask for something to do. Now is not the time to get caught cruising the net or daydreaming, that's like asking for a layoff notice.
- Don't hang around yapping. It only takes getting noticed gossiping with other employess a few times to get on the layoff notice list.
- Socialize with the 'higher ups'. I don't mean go to parties with them, just show some common courtesy. A simple 'Good morning' or 'how's it going' can go a long way to prevent getting a layoff notice.
- Try to do something nobody likes to do. Try to be the 'go to' guy when a printer jams or some other annoying, but common office task needs to be done. Even if it's just putting paper in the copier or printers. If people need you you're less likely to get a layoff notice.
- Make sure you contribute to office parties and gifts. As annoying as it may be, you never know who you'll offend by saying no. Don't get a layoff notice just because you wanted to save a few bucks.
- If you smoke don't hang out in front of the office building constantly, walk around the block or down the street. Remember, management and other big wigs are probably coming and going all day. You don't want the same manager to see you outside all the time, this is a sure fire way to get on the layoff notice list real fast. Remember, once the higher ups take notice of something they start talking and others start believing it, whether it's true or not.
- Think about bringing in donuts or some other treats for your coworkers once in a while, you don't want to look obvious, but it doesn't hurt you to get noticed for being a 'team player'
So there you have it, some simple but effective ways to help prevent yourself from getting a layoff notice.