Dreaming is something almost all of us have experienced. It is said that every night you can dream over seven dreams. If you wake up and remember a dream, you probably wish you could have changed something or realized you are dreaming. Lucid Dreaming is when the dreamer becomes aware that they are dreaming while remaining in the dream. Lucid dreams can be very interesting experiences and with practise you can even learn how to control your dreams!
If you want to become lucid in a dream, you need to practise checking if you are in a dream. While dreaming, many specific things will be different from the real world. Physics will be different and things may not stay the same for long. In order to check these things in the dream, you need to build a habit of checking in real life. Here are some things you can check:
- Look at your hands. In a dream you may have more or less than five fingers. SOmetimes the lines in your hands are non-existant, or much deeper than normal.
- Look at some text. Glance away and then back again. Sometimes in a dream, the text will change.
- Look at a clock, is it working? If you look away and back again, is it still the same?
- Jump up and down. Physics may be a little different from real life, or you may even begin to fly!
- Flip a light switch up and down. Do the lights go on and off? If not, you are probably dreaming.
Try and check three or four of these things every day. If you get into a habit of checking in real life, you will automatically check when dreaming.
If you become lucid but don't remember the dream, the whole experience was a waste! If you want to remember your dreams, keep a dream journal by your bedside. Right after you wake up, right down as much of your dreams as you can remember. Include as many details as possible. Over time, you will remember more and more of your dreams and therefore more of your lucid dreams.
If you remember to check if you are in a dream, and keep a journal to remember your dreams, you will soon be able to lucid dream almost every night! After you master becoming lucid, you can start to try and control your dreams as well.