The fact that the practice of chiropractic includes a variety of techniques and philosophies makes choosing the best chiropractor a challenge. Unfortunately, when it comes to any type of health care, you often have to interview multiple health advisors before finding the right practitioner for you. However, you can narrow down your search if you know what factors to consider before choosing the right chiropractor.
Finding the Best Chiropractor
Your friends, relatives, neighbors and co-workers are the best way to get referrals. If you find that someone you know is receiving chiropractic care and the person is happy with the service, find out how long the person has been seeing the chiropractor. Also, inquire about the quality of the staff’s customer service, the fees, and the doctor’s health philosophies.
Avoid choosing a chiropractor from the yellow pages or solely based on location. Choosing a chiropractor only because his office is only a few minutes away form your home is not a practical way to choose the best chiropractor.
Once you obtain a referral, perform an online search to check for complaints against the practice. Additionally, check State Medical Boards to make sure that the chiropractor you choose is state certified. Each chiropractor must pass a state test in the state where he plans to practice.
Factors to Keep in Mind When Choosing the Best Chiropractor
Schedule a consultation. Chiropractors generally offer a free consultation. During the consultation visit, the doctor will want to find out things about your lifestyle habits and your symptoms. Typically, the doctor will ask questions about your family’s medical history. You can expect a physical examination during the first visit as well. The tests generally include taking your blood pressure, reflex testing and muscle testing. Some chiropractors offer a free massage on your free consultation visit.
After gathering all the data, the doctor will inform you of the treatment techniques he uses and how he things might possibly help you. If he needs to take an X-ray before making a diagnosis, he’ll request your approval, as you’ll likely need to pay for it if you wish to pursue treatment. The doctor might give you the results of the X-ray on the first visit or he might schedule a follow-up visit.
Use this opportunity to asses the chiropractor and his practice. In order to choose the best chiropractor, ask yourself the following questions:
- Do I like the doctor’s personality?
- Do I feel comfortable with him?
- Does the chiropractor look healthy? This is an important factor because if he does not live a healthy lifestyle, how will he be able to help you achieve wellness and optimal health.
- Is the chiropractor tying to sell me a treatment plan before listening to my symptoms and administering diagnostic studies?
The Best Chiropractor Will Use the Technique That's Right for You
Chiropractors employ various techniques to help patients achieve optimal health. If technique is important to you, find out what technique the chiropractor uses.
The various techniques include:
- Extremity Manipulation and Extremity Adjusting - The goal of this technique is to restore mobility to extremities and joints.
- Cox Flexion/Distraction Techniques - This chiropractic technique aligns the spine and restores range of motion to muscles and joints. Chiropractors generally believe that this technique is a safe alternative to back surgery. Chiropractors often use this technique to improve posture, reduce headaches and restore herniated discs.
- Activator Methods and Techniques - The chiropractor analyzes the length of the legs. Unevenness in the length of the legs indicates a pelvic deficiency, which can contribute to pain in the joints and hips.
- Spinal manipulation - Chiropractors use spinal manipulation to increase mobility. The doctor may apply pressure to the spinal joint to realign the spine.
- Gonstead Chiropractic Techniques - This type of chiropractic techniques treat pinched nerves resulting from an unaligned spine.
- Thompson Chiropractic Techniques - After an analysis of the length of a patient’s legs, the chiropractor determines the type of misalignment and makes an alignment.
Depending on the treatment, chiropractic treatments can relieve pain, improve a person’s quality of life and lead to optimal health.
Copyright © 2011 Ana Jackson. All Rights Reserved. Reproduction in whole or in part constitutes plagiarism, is illegal and strictly prohibited.