Not all coffee grinders are created equal
A true coffee afficionado knows that the best coffee is made from freshly ground beans, and that means owning a home coffee grinder. If having the best possible coffee is important to you then you must get the right home coffee grinder as it makes the coffee experience so much better. Now, before you run off to your favorite store to get one, there are some important things to consider.
What kind of home coffee grinder should I get, there seems to be two types?
- The blade grinder uses (amazingly) a blade to 'chop' the beans, similar to how a food processor or blender works. This type of home coffee grinder does NOT allow you to control the fineness of the grind as you'll end up with both larger pieces and dust. This type is the cheaper type of home grinder.
- The burr coffee grinder is far superior as it actually grinds the coffee between two plates. You have absolute control over the size of the grind. This type is far supperior, especially if you'll be making coffee in defferent types of machines or even espresso.
I recommend the burr coffee grinder. If you'll be going through the trouble of grinding your own coffee this is the way to go. It will make a far superior cup of coffee.
What are some important features I should look for when purchasing a home coffee grinder?
There are some things you should be aware of when it comes to the available features in todays home coffee grinders. Let's look at them.
- Look at the power of the home coffee grinder, the more powerful it is, the more coffee you'll be able to grind at one time. For small amounts this isn't a very important feature.
- Hopper size, if you intend to grind several days worth of coffee I suggest getting a home grinder with a large hopper. Also consider the power of the unit.
- Storage canister, the best home coffee grinder units will come with an airtight storage cannister.
- Auto off feature, so as to not overgrind your coffee or possibly burn out the unit if you're distracted, get one with auto off.
Obviously the more features and power the home grinder has the more expensive it'll be.
Here's an example of an amazingly good home coffee grinder that has all the right features, available on Amazon.
If you want the best, then here's a great article detailing what to look for when you want to get a conical burr grinder.
How much does a good home coffee grinder cost?
Well, as I said, the more features the more expensive it'll be, it also depends if it's on sale or not. I suggest reading coffee grinder reviews at sites like Consumer Search and Consumer Reports. They have unbiased grinder reviews written by users just like yourself and often times they have the lowest prices right there in the review. You will also find many useful links right here on this page too.