Learning how to clean jewelry is not a difficult task. Cleaning your jewelry depends on what your jewelry is made out of. Gold, silver, and precious stones are all cleaned in different ways.
Before you clean your jewelry it is a good idea to examine the piece that needs cleaning. Careful examination will help you decide if you need an abrasive cleaning technique, or a routine cleaning. If you clean your jewelry in the wrong way, you could damage it.
Steps to follow when cleaning silver jewelry:1. Your materials- You will need to gather up a few materials for the cleaning process. In order to clean silver you will need a cleaning cloth, toothbrush, liquid detergent or soap.
2. The cleaning process- Examine the jewelry, wipe the jewelry off with a cleaning cloth in an attempt to get any dirt or debris that may be found on the jewelries surface. Add your liquid soap together with warm water and apply the lather to the jewelry. Grab your toothbrush and utilize its bristles to get into the small grooves that your cloth can not reach. Run warm water over the piece of jewelry and wipe with a cloth. Allow jewelry to dry normally about 2-6 hours.
Steps to follow when cleaning gold jewelry:1. Soak the piece of jewelry in a combination of hot soapy water and ammonia for 10-15 minutes.
2. Use a small soft-bristle toothbrush to scrub out any ground in dirt that may have accumulated over time. Be careful to not scratch the tarnish while scrubbing with the brush.
3. Rinse the jewelry with lukewarm water and allow drying.
4. Repeat steps if necessary.
Steps to follow when learning how to clean jewelry made of diamonds:1. Allow your diamond jewelry to soak in a combination of warm water and mild detergent.
2. After the diamond has been soaking for 10-15 minutes remove the diamond from water and gently scrub the surface with a smooth toothbrush.
3. You may also use a toothpick to get into the deep crevices of the diamond.
4. Wipe your diamond off with a soft non-abrasive cloth and allow to dry.
Do not use any forms of chlorinated bleach to give your diamond an extra shine. Your jewelry may shine bright for a few months, but will gradually become dull over time.
Steps to follow when cleaning pearls:When it comes to cleaning pearls, you need to address the jewelry in a different way, pearls are extremely delicate and can easily fall victim to scratches and scrapes.
You will need to gather the same materials that you previously needed to clean your gold and silver, but you are going to clean your pearls in a delicate manner.
1. Gather a soft clean cloth and apply liquid soap and warm water to the cloth.
2. Build up a lather of the two substances together.
3. Rub the pearl in the cloth that consists of the soap and water mixture.
4. Rinse the piece gently under lukewarm water.
5. Allow the piece to dry.
Learning how to clean jewelry is a simple task to complete. Remember that jewelry is extremely delicate and should always be handled with care. Do not use any alcohol or abrasive techniques in cleaning your jewelry. If you feel your jewelry is not giving off the lustrous shine that you anticipated, the best thing to do is repeat the cleaning process.
If you have any doubts about cleaning a specific piece of jewelry, contact a professional cleaning service right away. In the case where jewelry is concerned, its better to be safe then to do something wrong and ruin the stunning piece.