Forgot your password?

How to Clean Water Damage Mold

By Edited Jul 28, 2016 2 1

If you have recently experienced a flood in your basement or other part of your house or if you have had a roof leak that has led to water damage in your home, then you are a prime candidate for water damage mold. Mold can begin to form in as little as 24 – 48 hours after a flood.

You need to take mold seriously. It can have a great many negative benefits for you and the rest of your household. Mold can cause such issues as allergies, headaches, vomiting, tiredness, etc. It is especially bad for those that struggle with asthma. It can trigger attacks or even worse.

Water damage mold can get anywhere and can even be in places that you cannot see. In fact, in many instances the mold will be in places that you cannot see. Water has the ability to penetrate in areas behind walls, under carpets and even in the grain of wood.

If you are not planning on hiring a water damage restoration expert then you may have a lot of work ahead of you. If you have had standing water in your basement then the first thing that you will need to do is to remove any carpeting and padding that you had. Unfortunately, it will need to be thrown away because mold can even grow in the fibers of the carpet. Not only that but you will need to dry out the floor underneath of the carpet to keep the mold from forming. Remember it is what you can't see that can do the most damage to your health. Also, clean the floor with soap and water to remove any traces of the mold.

You will also need to tear out the drywall and the insulation behind the drywall that may have been damaged in the flood. If your roof was leaking then you will have water damaged insulation and drywall in your ceiling. Both of these will need to be removed once you have stopped the source of the leak.

You will be able to tell that you have mold on your drywall, wood, insulation or wood if you begin to see it turn black. When you are removing the water damage mold from your home you should take precautions to protect yourself. You should wear goggles, gloves and definitely a mask so that you do not inhale the dust. Some of the mold that you may encounter can be toxic.

If you see mold on any wood then you will need to do one three things. You need to clean it with soap and water or you can sand the mold away or you many have to remove the wood altogether. If you opt to sand the mold away then you need to wear a protective mask so as not to inhale the wood particles.

There is one room in your house that will be more prone mold than any other even without a flood. That room is your bathroom. The bathroom is the one room in your house that is constantly damp. As a result of this, mold is more prone to occur here. In order to prevent mold, you may want to keep a small dehumidifier in your bathroom to help cut down on the moisture.

Water damage mold can be a dangerous thing but if take the right precautions and steps to eliminate it you can remove the hazards.



Feb 22, 2011 2:51pm
great tips for dealing with mould. Great article!
Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Technology