Serves 4 to 6
In Italy, this easy, filling pasta dish is made for quick suppers and lunches. As it utilizes what most people already have on hand - pasta, eggs, cheese and bacon its quick to make yet is delicious in flavor and great for you and your friends or family.
- 500g of regular spaghetti
- 480g of bacon
- As much bacon juices that are available
- 4 eggs
- ½ cup of freshly grated parmesan cheese
- ¼ cup of finely chopped parsley
- ¾ teaspoon of coarsely ground pepper
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- 300ml of cream
- A dash of milk
- Bring a large pot of water to the boil for the pasta and add a pinch of salt to the water
- Once the water is boiling cook the spaghetti in it at a rapid boil for about 9 minutes until al dente.
- Meanwhile, chop the bacon up into about 1cm cubes and fry on a frying pan with butter until crispy, don’t worry if there are large clumps of bacon stuck together when you first put the bacon in the pan, as they cook the pieces will break apart and separate automatically.
- In large bowl, whisk together the 4 eggs, cheese, parsley, pepper, salt, cream and a small dash of milk.
- Once the bacon is cooked add that to the mix pouring in as much of the bacon juices as possible for flavor and mix everything together.
- By now the pasta should be cooked so after testing it you will want to drain it in a colander and then put the pasta back into the still warm pot it was cooked in.
- Pour the egg/bacon mixture over the hot spaghetti and stir well until the pasta is coated with sauce. The residual heat will cook the egg slightly and leave you with a delicious meal.
Tips for cooking
For the maximum flavor, the cheese should always be freshly grated parmesan.
Once the egg mixture is poured onto the pasta you should have everybody ready to sit down and eat as it only takes a second for the mix to cook and be ready.
Thanks for reading and please feel free to comment if you enjoyed the carbonara as much as my girlfriend and I do!