Forgot your password?

How to Cook on an Aga Stove with Four Burners

By Edited Jun 1, 2015 1 0

"The Aga is the Rolls Royce of cooking stoves," according to Martha Stewart, an American television host, author and business mogul who owns two. This line of range ovens, traditionally called cookers, have an initial learning curve. Aga range ovens require a different approach to cooking because different parts have constant set temperatures. There are no dials to turn on burners or to set the temperature of the oven. Aga range ovens have a reputation for creating tastier food while freeing the cook from constantly having to tend to what's simmering, roasting or baking.

Things You Will Need

Thick flat-bottomed cookware, oven mittens, cooking utensils

Step 1

Wash and stuff a 25 pound turkey and place in a roasting pan. Slide it into the top-right oven. The roasting oven stays at a steady preset 400 degrees Fahrenheit. Thanks to the radiant heat the turkey will cook in three hours instead of six hours in a traditional gas or electric oven.

Step 2

Mix up a cake and pour the batter it into a cake pan. Slide it into the baking oven just below the roasting oven. The baking oven stays a constant 300 degrees Fahrenheit and is moisture-controlled.

Step 3

Prepare your favorite slow-cooker recipe in an ovenproof casserole or cast iron pot. Slide it into the simmering oven, positioned at the top left just below the cook top, and let it simmer overnight. The simmering oven is set at 200 degrees and acts like a giant slow cooker.

Step 4

The warming oven just below the simmering oven will keep food at the perfect temperature-keeping it as tasty as when it was first pulled from the other ovens.

Step 5

Fill the tea kettle and lift up the chrome lid of the boiling plate in the center of the cook top. The boiling plate stays at a constant temperature of 800 degrees. The kettle of water will boil in two to three minutes.

Step 6

Mix up some pancake batter and lift the chrome lid on the 400 degree Fahrenheit simmering plate just to the right of the boiling plate. Ladle out batter right on to the surface of the simmering plate. There is no need for an extra pancake griddle.

Step 7

The warming plate to the left of the boiling plate stays a constant 120 degrees Fahrenheit. Use it to warm plates, keep tea or coffee warm or to warm up mittens on a cold morning. Once you've started cooking on an Aga stove, it's doubtful you will return to a conventional oven. The man who invented the Aga invented it for his wife . He wanted her to have more liesure time instead of spending hours in the kitchen cooking on a demanding, inefficient stove.

Tips & Warnings

When roasting or baking in the ovens, there is no aroma of cooking food while the oven doors are closed. The smells are drawn up and out the flue.

You can put more then one pan or casserole into a single oven at a time.

Whether cooking on the burners or in the ovens, always use cookery with thick, flat bottoms so good contact is made between the Aga's heated surfaces and the pot or pan.

With standard stoves 80 percent of cooking is done on the top of the stove while the remaining 20 percent takes place in the oven. This is reversed when cooking on an Aga.

If the roasting oven is too hot set pots of cold water on the boiling and simmering plates. This will help reduce the temperature in the roasting oven.

If two or three sauce pans require the boiling plate at the same time, just nestle all three on the one burner simultaneously. There's enough heat to go around.

Cooking on an Aga takes less time and effort than cooking on conventional stoves.

Make sure you don't forget food in the oven. Because the smell is drawn out the flue, you won't smell burning food.

When selecting cookery to use with the Aga, stay away from wood or plastic handles because they are not ovenproof.



Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Lifestyle