Home improvement projects are some of the most important projects that you will perform during the lifetime of your mortgage. There are several home improvements that are beneficial for you when you go to sell the house. Not only do home improvements make you feel good about yourself and boost family morale, but they also make it easier for you to sell your home and this is important in today's tough, competitive real estate climate.
- Extend your home. If your house does not have a porch, deck, lanai, or home office then it may be time to do an extension to your home. Home extensions always boost the equity of a home.
- Update your kitchen. One of the most important things that you will ever do in your home is cook. An updated kitchen is essential for modern home that will be easy to sell.
- Update the bathrooms. Modern bathrooms make a home more attractive and easier to sell. If you have odd or mismatched tiles in your bathroom then it may be best to remove them and replace them with matching tiles or even marble, if possible. If you're trying to sell the upscale buyers, then your best bet is to have a tub with plenty of room and certain amenities such as jets. Updating your bathroom can add a significant amount of equity to your home and will make you feel better about your house.
- Make sure that all of your walls are painted with neutral colors. Neutral colors or tones are the best colors to use throughout the house because they are the least conflicting. For example, color such as beige, white, light brown, gray, and so forth are perfect colors for bedrooms and throughout the house. Extreme colors can not only be a turnoff but can significantly devalue your home. If you have children or simply have eccentric taste and your walls are painted odd colors then be sure to paint over them with neutral, contemporary colors in order to have a better chance of selling the home for higher price.
- Make sure that there are plenty of outlets. Most people like to buy homes that have plenty of outlets for their computers and other electronic devices. In this modern era when everyone has a cell phone and laptop - for the most part - it is important to make sure that they have enough places to plug in all of their devices. Also make sure that the outlets have three prongs, rather than just two, as devices such as laptops require three-pronged outlets.
- Take care of the outside of your home. The outside of the house should be painted a neutral and attractive color, just like the inside of the house. Flower gardens, fences, and plenty of yard space are just a few things that buyers are looking for in a new home and these items can significantly increase the equity of your home.If you don't have porch lights already, be sure to add them. Outside lights are especially important to buyers in suburban and rural areas and specifically for homes that are located on streets that do not have streetlights. Motion sensor porch lights are, of course, preferable. And of course it is also preferable to have outside lights near the front and back doors of the home.
There are several things that you can do to increase the equity of your home if you are looking to put your house on the market for sale. You do not have to spend a lot of money on home improvement costs to do so. Sometimes, raising the value of your home can be as simple as installing new light fixtures or changing a leaky faucet. Whatever your situation, be sure to also seek advice from a financial advisor and realtor before selling your home.