Buying car accident insurance is very important as most states require drivers to have one. Primarily, it will save you from the burden that an unforeseen accident could cause. However, there are instances when you will encounter problems in dealing with insurance companies.
The most common problem that drivers deal with is the high cost of the premium. Sometimes, it is even higher than the cost of the car due to high exposure to danger.
The insurer is the one who determines how much you are going to pay through usage of probabilities and statistics. Factors they consider are age, sex, marital status, and the type of the car- whether it is ordinary, sports car and others.
If the insurer determined that your car is at high risk, they will require you to pay a high premium. Or, they may even deny you the coverage. It is a common practice for insurance companies to require high premiums or decline coverage for individuals with high-risk exposure specifically those who drive sports cars.
Another problem that you might encounter is redlining. This is the unlawful practice of discrimination on the basis of geographical location, when providing loans or insurance coverage because of high risk or probability of loss.
Although considered illegal, discrimination is also prevalent in the area of business insurance. Insurers discriminate particularly on the basis of race and consequently not granting insurance coverage.
The practice of not granting contractual clauses is another car accident insurance problem. These clauses limit the insurer's responsibility and obligation to you, specifically when you are involved in a major liability.
There are also some insurance companies who purposely or intentionally compose policies that are too complex, thus policymakers cannot understand the terms and payment of coverage clearly.
How to Get Car Insurance Discounts
Since premiums could be very costly, you need to take control of it. Getting discounts is possible, and it will be necessary if you will know the car accident discounts that are available to somehow relieve the burden you might face.
- Combination of one or More Type of Insurance. You must see to it if the car insurance company handles other types of insurance. You can combine more than one type of insurance and it will save you money. A common example of combo discounts is car and home insurance.
- Retirement Discounts. You may be able to get more car insurance discounts when you already hit retirement age. You may also qualify for senior citizen discounts to get cheap insurance.
- Association Discounts. You can be able to save money when you get car insurance through your associations- colleges, businesses, among others.
- Renewing Policies. You should renew policies from the same insurance company since there are many who provide discounts on renewals.
- Taking Driver's Course. You may take a defensive driver's course so you will have a certificate that you can submit to the insurance company at the time of application. Taking such course lowers premium.
- Report Card for Young Drivers. You may also lower premiums if you are a young driver studying in an educational institution. You just have to submit your report card. And if you have an excellent grade, you will more likely receive a cheaper assessment.
Car insurance is vital in minimizing the possible costs and expenses once involved in an accident. Hence, knowing what are the car accident insurance problems that you might encounter, and learning how to have discounts in getting quotes or premiums are very important matters to lessen the possible difficulties in dealing with insurance companies.