Fishtail Braids look sassy, innocent and elegant at the same time. A number of classical pictures feature women with their hair adorned in fishtail braids.Yet the fishtail braids hairstyle is not difficuly and can in fact be a DIY project.
To braid means to twist strands of hair to form a plait. The usual braid hairstyle involves three strands and can be seen on the hair of many African Americans. There are also braids you can make with two strands. Fishtail braids are not a perfect style for long term use. But if what you are looking for is a way to glam up for an event, then it is perfect for you. The idea is that you learn how to do it yourself instead of running to a hair salon each time.
Things you need to Fishtail braid your hair
- Long Hair - Your hair needs to be at least shoulder length for you to be able to carry this braids hairstyle. Shorter hair will make force you to makr the braid tighter loosing some of its sultry look. If your hair is too short to be worn as a ponytail, ou will not be able to fishtail braid it.
- Two mirrors. prefarably situated in such a way that you can see both the front and the back of your head.
- Combs and Brushes
- Very important - Hair clips and bands. Snce you are fishtail braiding the hair by yourself, you need to keep the hair away from the part you are working on, if not it becomes loose and very messy.
How To Do the FishTail Braid
It is useful if you already know how to do the basic three strand braid. Having that in mind, below is a step by step instructionof how to fishtail braid your own hair.
- Sit comfortably on a stool or chair, position yourself so you have almost a 360 degree view of your head.
- Place the combs, brushes, clips and bands within reach.
- Comb through your hair to remove any tangles.
- Divide the hair down the center, all the way from hairline in front to the back.
- To the fishtail braids proper, pick a strand of hair from the outside of one section and put it under the other section.
- Pick another strand from the outside of the second section and put it under the first.
- Continue this untill you get to the end and secure with a hair band.
Tips to getting the Fishtail Braids right
To do your own hair and have the braids look professional, there are some things to consider. Ifyou want a tighter look then fishtail braid the hair while it is still wet.
The thnner the strands you pick, the tighter the braid. Try to maintain the same thickness braids throughout, it makes the fishtail braid look professional and very complicated.
If you want to do the braid on the ends only, like on a pony tail, secure it with a band at the base before you begin.
Alter the direction of the parting untill you find a position that is very comfortable for you. Right to left, or left to right.
Remember that the style gives a sultry look, there is no need to obsess if some hair is flying free.