Dandruff isn't a life threatening issue but is the source of embarassing moments if you do. After all, no one wants to have white flaky skin covering the shoulders of your black top. And this is not an uncommon problem. According to statistics, Americans spend over $300,000,000 a year trying to tackle this problem. In this article, I am going to talk about what causes dandruff to happen in the first place and more importantly, how to get rid of dandruff.
The Causes of Dandruff
First of all, dandruff is nothing more than the build up of excess dead skin cells on the scalp. Many doctors believe that it may go deeper than that though. Many researchers think that the actual cause of dandruff could be the result of excess growth of a yeast called Pityrosporum, which grows naturally on skin. The problem happens when the pityrosporum exceeds a certain percentage (50-74%). When this happens, you get an increase of inflammation on the scalp and the result is peeling...aka dandruff.
This said what causes dandruff is still really an unknown in the medical world. It is also so common that it is believed that 97% of people will get dandruff at one point or more in their life.
Just because you have a flaky scalp doesn't necessarily mean that dandruff is the cause. In fact, there are several other skin disorders that it could be such as psoriasis, seborrhea,rosacea and eczema.
This said, there are some known things that do cause dandruff....
- Stress and other environment triggers.
- A b vitamin deficiency
- Low Fat diets
- Food allergies
- Harsh shampoos and sometimes excessive exposure to the sun
How to get rid of Dandruff
While there is not one definite way to get rid of dandruff, here are some basic tips to treating dandruff naturally.
- Eat a clean diet rich in fruits and vegetables- I believe that the root of most problems start with what we eat. Since a diet low in the good fatty acids can actually increase the liklihood of dandruff, you should look into eating foods that are high in the omega 3 fatty acids. Fish is a great source of this type of fat.
- Make sure you are getting your b-vitamins- Most dandruff can get under control just by making sure that you are getting the right nutrients in your syste. Take a b-vitamin supplement and zinc lozenges.
Get probiotics in your diet- Probiotics are the good bacteria and can be found in yogurt and other foods with active cultures in them.
- Try essential oils on your scalp like tea tree oil.
- Treat your scalp with vinegar- vinegar will help maintain a good pH for your skin.
For more great articles, check out this associatedcontent profile