Login
Password

Forgot your password?

How to Get Rid of Mold and Mildew Smell

By Edited Aug 6, 2015 1 1

Mold on walls
Mold and Mildew stains are unsightly, smelly and potentially harmful to an individual's health. Not to mention the smells can be embarrassing when guests arrive and the first thing they smell is the musty odor of mildew. In addition, some people are highly allergic to mold and mildew and react by having sinus and respiratory problems. The musty odors caused by mold and mildew can only be completely eliminated after the source of the odors, the mold and mildew, are removed.

Things You Will Need

Air fresheners, Electric fan, Room deodorizers, Ionic and hepa air purifiers

Step 1

Mold in corner

As mentioned above, the musty odors caused by mold and mildew can only be completely eliminated after the source of the odors, the mold and mildew, are removed. There are a number of methods available to kill the mold and mildew spores effectively depending on where and what the mildew is growing on. Therefore, the first step to getting rid of a mildew smell is to eliminate the cause. Otherwise the smell will quickly return.

Step 2

Ventilation fan

Good ventilation is a must to help prevent mold from growing and it is one of the best ways to remove the odor by allowing the affected area to be aired out with fresh air. This is where an electric fan is helpful to increase air circulation.

Step 3

Air Wick air freshener

Room deodorizers and air fresheners should also be used to help eliminate the odors. They can be in the form of aerosol sprays, pump sprays, candles, potpourri, or a number of other forms.

The musty odors caused by mold and mildew can only be completely eliminated after the source of the odors, the mold and mildew, are removed. Use the steps above to rid your home of the smell that comes from mold and mildew.

Tips & Warnings

Keep moisture under control. This is the best way to prevent mold and mildew from growing.

Bleach and other chemicals used to clean mold and mildew can be poison and the vapors can be toxic to individuals with breathing problems.

Some individuals may have allergies that can be aggravated by the mold and mildew.

Advertisement
Advertisement

Comments

Mar 4, 2010 1:41am
Sullysee
Important steps to prevent mold and mildew smells.
Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Health