Mold and mildew in the shower can be disgusting to look at as well as being a possible health hazard. Many individuals can be allergic to mold and mildew and react by having sinus and respiratory problems. In addition, depending on the amount and where the mold and mildew is located in the shower, it could also pose a slip and fall threat because it can be slippery. Fortunately the black mold that you find in the shower is not typically the toxic black mold that can be a serious health risk. Toxic black mold will not usually grow on ceramic tiles or vinyl. Mold and mildew is generally caused by high humidity in the bath and shower area. Opening a window or using an exhaust fan will help reduce the moisture level in the air and help reduce the growth of mold and mildew.
Things You Will Need
Protective gloves Soft bristle brush Household Chlorine Bleach or a Cleaning product such as X-14 or Tilex. Respirator mask if breathing the cleaning chemicals causes any breathing discomfort Scrubbing Bubbles or another commercially available bath room tub and tile cleaner
Spray the mold and mildew directly with bleach or one of the other cleaning products and let it saturate and stay on the area for a few seconds.
Scrub the mold and mildew with a soft bristle brush until it becomes loose. Rinse the area with water.
If the mildew is still present, repeat steps one and two. After the mold and mildew has been killed and rinsed away, clean the shower as normal with a product such as Scrubbing Bubbles or another commercially available bath room tub and tile cleaner.
Increased air circulation with a fan, air fresheners and room deodorizers will be helpful in removing any mold and mildew smells that may be lingering after cleaning. Also the increased air circulation will help reduce the humidity in the bath area and therefore reduce the amount of mold and mildew growth.
Mold and mildew is generally caused by high humidity in the bath and shower area. Eliminating it will greatly reduce future mold and mildew growth.
Tips & Warnings
Bleach and other chemicals used to clean mold and mildew can be poison and the vapors can be toxic to individuals with breathing problems. Some individuals also may have allergies that can be aggravated by the mold and mildew itself. Protective gloves, safety glasses or goggles and a mask are recommended when dealing with chemicals.