When Is the Best Time to Get Baby Into a Routine?
Many parents wonder when it's the right time to get their baby into a routine. We're told that we should feed newborns on demand and let them sleep when they want to, so how do we get them into a routine when we're trying to keep up with them?
Infants as young as two months can respond well to a bed time routine. Although, this is still a young age and your baby will still be feeding on demand, so if you think that this is a little too early to start, then wait another one or two months before trying to establish a schedule that works for you and baby.
When the time is right, there are some things you can do to help baby to sleep for longer periods during the night:
- When she wakes in the morning, change her clothes so that she wears day clothes during the day and a sleep suit during the night.
- During the day, open the curtains and let in plenty of day light and in the evening make the house dark. This will help her to tell the difference between day and night.
- Keep your baby stimulated during the days. Talk to her lots and play with her. At night don't talk to her as much and try to create a calming environment.
- Give your baby a bath before bed-time. Why not try some of the baby products that have chamomile in, as they may help to relax her.
- Play relaxing music, such as Mozart. Classical music can help to sooth and calm babies.
- Give her a long feed before putting her down for the night as this will help her go for a longer period before her next feed.
Remember that you can be flexible and fit this routine around yours and your baby's needs. It will probably be a while before she sleeps through the night. Keep feeding her on demand and tending to her needs and eventually she will go through the night without waking.
Amazon Price: $219.99 $140.00 Buy Now
(price as of Sep 25, 2014)