Having a Summer Barbecue ... GRILL-ICIOUS!
It's a classic summertime activity, but it's not always easy. Entertaining and feeding guests at a barbecue party can be tricky, but if done right, it's always a great time.
First things first:
- Test out the barbecue - Give it a cleaning, make sure there's enough propane
- Be organized! Gather your equipment - you might need a trip to the store to pick up aluminum trays (to transport and hold meat), a flipper, spray bottle (to stop flare ups), knives, marinating brush, temperature gauge (optional) and so on.
- Have a buddy to barbecue with. Your going to need a helper.
The most essential thing you gotta have right is the food. From chicken breast, hot dogs and burgers to ketchup, mayo and mustard, there's plenty of options. Here's a complete shopping list:
PROTEIN (pick 1 or more, depending on the number of guests)
- Burgers - beef usually, but often chicken and salmon. For vegetarians, buy veggie burgers
- Hot Dogs
- Sausage - make sure to get larger buns too
- Chicken breast
- Shish Kebabs
- Barbeque Sauce
- Butter or margarine
- Onions, diced or thinly sliced
- Cheese, thinly sliced
- Tomates, thinly sliced
- Dips, such as Ranch, for vegetable platter
- Corn on the cob
- Salads - Greek, ceaser, garden
- Macaroni or potato salad
FRUITS AND VEGETABLES
- If you buy a fruit/vegetable platter, pre-made, realize that they are far more expensive than preparing on one's on
- Fruits: watermelon, grapes, honeydew melon, kiwi, pineapple, berries, orange slices, apple slices
- Vegetables: Grape tomatoes, cauliflower, broccoli, cucumber, carrots, celery, peppers
- Pop, juice, punch, ice water, diet drinks
- Need healthy drink ideas?
TIPS ON COOKING
- Ensure that you marinate the meat. Even 20 minutes can both add flavor and tenderize the meat. Most types of meat should be marinated overnight. Fish should not be marinated longer than 20 minutes.
- Recommended Grilling Times by Meat Thickness:
|1 inch||High||8-10 min||12-14 min||16-20 min|
|1.5 inches||High||10-14 min||16-20 min||22-26 min|
|2 inches||Medium||12-16 min||18-22 min||24-28 min|