There are several ways on how you can improve your garden. You can plant interesting flowers and shrubs or trees, you can put a statue or a fountain right in the middle of your garden, or you can add outdoor furniture sets that are both functional and decorative. However, none of this will matter at night because nobody will see them. This is the reason why many people install outdoor lighting in their garden to highlight their garden's special features and also to illuminate walkways and their entire property.
If you want to install outdoor lighting in your garden but you do not have any idea on how to do it correctly, here are some tips that you should consider.
- Do not flood your garden with too much light. You just want to keep it low and natural, not something that looks artificial. You want your garden to blend in with the natural lighting that comes from the moon and stars. Make sure that your lighting has the same brightness as the moonlight.
- You can buy path lights to illuminate your walkway, if you have one. This is a great garden decoration and at the same time it keeps you from falling and tripping. This is also great against burglars.
- There may be some features in your garden that you want to highlight such as your century old oak tree that has an interesting shape. You can also highlight a majestic fountain or a piece of artwork like a sculpture or a statue. For this purpose, you can use accent lights.
- Make your outdoor lighting invisible as much as possible, especially if they are not decorative. Others are meant to be seen like lanterns and some lights installed on a post but for those that look a bit unnatural in a garden, it would be better to hide them inside a thick bush or plant. If this is not possible, at least make sure that the wirings and cord are not painted in bright colors.
- Holidays are a great time to be fancy with your lighting. This only happens a few times a year, and installing outdoor lighting here and there will increase the festive mood up a notch.