Escalators were invented to make it easier for people to move around buildings and structures with different floors and levels and at the same time enjoy the view. However, there are instances where people get injured because of these escalators. Though there are cases where escalators are found defective, customers and visitors should still do their part in preventing such accidents.
For people who love visiting places that have escalators, here are some valuable tips to remember. Make sure to take note of them if you do not want to get involved in an escalator accident.
Before entering an escalator
- Check your shoelaces.
- Keep your eyes on the moving steps and step on them carefully.
- If you are carrying something, hold it with one hand, and use the other hand to hold the handrail.
- Do not step backwards when entering the escalator.
- Trolleys, carts, wheelchairs, etc. should not be brought on the escalator.
While riding the escalator
- Always face forward.
- Do not walk opposite of the escalator's direction.
- Carefully reposition your hand in case the handrail moves ahead or behind.
- Never ride the handrail.
- Do not stand too close to the escalator's edge.
When leaving the escalator
- Watch your step and step off immediately.
- Do not let your feet reach the place where the steps get "eaten".
- Leave the exit area immediately to avoid people bumping into you.
Aside from adults, children should also be guided and taught the right way to ride escalators. This would make them more aware of certain safety guidelines to avoid accidents.
If you and your children have followed the steps given above and you still encountered an escalator accident, then the escalator might be defective. In this situation, you should get legal help and file a personal injury case against the premises or establishment owner. However, there are situations where the owner would not be responsible, but the building developer. Either way, what is important is for you to take a prompt action to recover your damages.
According to statistics, thousands of people are injured every year because of escalator accidents. If you were unfortunate enough to be involved in such an accident, you should know what to do. First, prove that you were not negligent and second: hire a Los Angeles personal injury attorney for your complaint. If you follow these tips, you will eventually obtain compensation from the liable party.