Tired of the same old pizza and want something different? I love bbq chicken pizza but not every pizza place makes this delicious combination of cheeses, bbq sauce, red onions and chicken.Â Use this recipe to learn how to make BBQ chicken pizza from scratch.
Things Youâll Need:
Â Â Â Crust:
- Â Â Â 1/3 cup warm water
- Â Â Â 1 tbsp warm water
- Â Â Â 3/4 tsp yeast
- Â Â Â 1 tsp sugar
- Â Â Â 1 cup flour
- Â Â Â Â½ tsp salt
- Â Â Â Â½ tbsp olive oil
Â Â Â Topping:
- Â Â Â 1 boneless, skinless chicken breast
- Â Â Â Â½ cup of BBQ sauce ( I use Bullseye)
- Â Â Â 1 Â½ tsp olive oil
- Â Â Â 1 cup shredded mozzarella
- Â Â Â Â½ cup grated smoked Gouda cheeze
- Â Â Â Â½ cup diced red onon
You will need to prepare the crust a day ahead of time.
- Mix the yeast, sugar and 1/3 cup of warm water in a small bowl
- Wait 5 minutes or until the top is foamy
- Mix the flour and salt in a medium mixing bowl
- Now make a spot in the middle of the flour mixture to pour the yeast mixture and olive oil
- Take a fork and stir the dough until you can not stir it any more
- Now knead the dough on a lightly flour surface until it is smooth
- Make a ball with the dough, cover lightly with olive oil and put into a bowl and cover
- Keep in a warm place for 2 hours, until the dough doubles in size.
- Punch down, recover and place in the frig overnight
- Remove from frig and allow to get to room temperature before using.
- On a flour surface roll the dough out to fit a 10 inch pizza pan
For the toppings:
- Take the chicken breast and cut it intoÂ small cubes.
- Marinate it in 1/4 cup of the BBQ sauce in the frig. I usually do this for about 3 hours
- Saute the marinated chicken in the olive oil until done 3-5 minutes
- Pour the remaining BBQ sauce onto the pizza crust evenly.
- Now sprinkle the Gouda and about half of the mozzarella cheese on top of the BBQ sauce.
- Sprinkle the chicken over the cheese and then the red onion
- Now sprinkle the rest of the mozzarella cheese on top
- In a preheated oven bake on 400 degrees for about 12 minutes. You might have to adjust temperature and time to fit your oven. It's always best to test an oven's temperature for accuracy.
Tips & Warnings
- If you do not have the Gouda cheese you can substitute or just omit and add more mozzarella
- If you do not have the time to prepare the crust you can use a store bought mix or I like to use the dough that comes in a can, like biscuits.
- You can substitute the meat with pork if you prefer
- Use caution when cooking
- To make the bbq chicken pizza healthier, consider using a whole wheat made from scratch pizza crust.
I have tried different recipes on how to make BBQ chicken pizza from scratch, and I have the best results and compliments from this particular one.Â