If you have some left over refrigerated pie crusts that you need to put to use, then this is the perfect, easy treat that your family will love. They are really simple to make as a breakfast, snack, or dessert. I had a few pie crusts left over from Christmas that needed to be used, so I came up with this idea. It worked out really well.
What you will need:
* 1 or more refrigerated pie crusts.
* Fruit filling like any kind of jam or fresh fruit cooked down with sugar.
* Olive oil
* Powdered sugar
1. If you want to use fresh fruit as your filling, wash and chop your fruit of choice and put it into a saucepan. You don't need too much, maybe about 1-2 cups of fruit. Then mix in 1 cup of sugar, or more to taste. Cook this mixture over medium heat until the fruit cooks down and gets soft. It should be jam-like. Taste it to determine if you need more sugar or more fruit. I also like to add in some cinammon depending on the kind of fruit you choose. You could also just go the easy route and purchase a jar of fruit jam.
2. Unroll the refrigerated pie dough and use a pizza cutter to cut it into 9 equal pieces. The edge pieces won't be perfectly square because the dough is rounded, but these pieces will still work. Remember, these are supposed to be fun, not perfect.
3. Next, place a spoonful of the jam on one side of each cut piece of dough.
4. Then, gently fold the dough over the jam and pinch all of the edges so that the jam is fully sealed into the dough.
5. Next, place the turnovers or popovers onto a greased cookie sheet and brush each of them with olive oil.
6. Bake at 375 degrees for about 15 minutes. The edges will be golden brown.
7. Let them cool for a few minutes before serving and make sure you dust them with powdered sugar for the finishing touch.