It is never easy when you discover you have a rat or mice problem.Once you've noticed the infestation the only thing on your mind is how to get rid of them as soon as possible. Whilst it is understandable that you want to keep your dwellings place rodent free it is also important that you don't laden your house with a lot of toxic chemicals and poisons. This article will show you that they are alternatives to store bought rat poison that can be just as effective. This will be kinder to your family especially if you have pets or children and also make less of a hit to the money in your pocket.
Method 1- Bicarbonate of Soda
You may not know it but rats and mice and unable to pass any gas. Therefore if they ingest something that produces a gas on digestion then their bodies cannot cope. Eventually the internal gas build up will cause internal rupture or block the digestive system all together which eventually kills the rodent. Don't panic though, the increase in gas doesn't cause the rat to explode!
What I love about this method is the recipe is so simple.
- Mix equal parts of flour, sugar, and baking soda into a large bowl.
- Place the mixture on the floor overnight and wait for rodents to eat.
You can add a little water to the mixture is needed to form a paste as this may be more appealing to the rodents.
In this mixture it is the baking soda that reacts with the stomach acid in the rats that cause carbon dioxide gas to be released and kill them.
Method 2- Plaster of Paris and Mashed Potato
The second natural rat killer is using a mixture containing plaster of paris. The idea behind this is quite simple: as the rodent eats the mixture, the plaster of paris will harden causing digestive problems that will kill the rat.
Here's how it's done:
1. Mix one packet of instant mash potato with one cup of plaster of paris
2. Add a little water to the mixture until it becomes a paste
3. At this point you could add something that the mice/rats always go after in your house. For example if you could add some oats, dried fruits, cinnamon or nuts.
4. Place the mixture on bowl and leave on the floor overnight.
Method 3 - Flour, Sugar and Baking Soda
The last method is one that uses plaster 0f paris. Again this is a useful way of killing rodent because all other ingredients are usually found in most kitchen cupboards.
- Mix equal parts plaster of paris with cornmeal in a large bowl
- Add 0.5 litres of milk
- Knead together so that it becomes a dough
- Roll them into balls
- Place the balls around skirting boards and where the rodents might be getting into the house
- Check after a day and see if any have been chewed on. You will have to replace the balls after a day or so because the plaster of paris will harden and made it impossible to chew on