Learn how to make scalloped cabbage with cheese at home with this old recipe. Like cheesy vegetables but tired of the same old tiring dishes? Scalloped cabbage is defiantly something different to bring to the dinner table. It is considered a casserole style dish. A lady from church would always bring this dish to potluck dinners when I was a child. She taught me how to make it once I got older. The best thing about this recipe is that cabbage is less starchy than potatoes, not to mention cheaper. An added plus is that you won’t have to worry about other people showing up with the same dish, if taking it to a social gathering. This is a great way to doctor up cabbage! This recipe required a two part task. First is preparing the cabbage casserole. Then next is preparing the sauce. This recipe includes instructions for making the entire dish, even the white sauce. Many I’ve seen do not.
Scalloped Cabbage with Cheese Ingredients:
- 1 head of cabbage about 2 to 2 ½ pounds
- 1 cup of cheese, shredded (I use American)
- 1 cup of buttered bread crumbs or 3/4 cups of dry cracker crumbs
Scalloped Cabbage with Cheese Directions:
- Wash the head of cabbage well and remove any wilted leaves and cut off any bad spots.
- Fill a large pot with salted water and place the whole head of cabbage inside. Be sure the top of the cabbage is covered with water.
- Place the pot on the stove and bring the water to a boil
- Boil the cabbage for a good 10 minutes. Prepare the white sauce while the cabbage cooks, see ingredients and recipe below.
- Drain the cabbage and once it cool enough to handle, cut the large stems off the leaves and discard. Then cut the remaining cabbage into small pieces.
- Place a layer of the cabbage in the bottom of a buttered baking dish. Then spoon a layer of white sauce over the cabbage, followed by a layer of the cheese. Repeat this process until all of the items are used.
- Sprinkle the bread crumbs evenly all over the top.
- Bake the casserole in the oven at 400 degrees Fahrenheit until the crumbs are brown and the cabbage is tender. This should be about 20 to 25 minutes, depending on the oven's accuracy.
White Sauce Ingredients:
- 2 tablespoons of all purpose flour
- 2 tablespoons of butter, do not use margarine for best results
- ½ teaspoon of salt
- Dash of pepper or personal preference
- 1 cup of milk, whole milk taste best but 2% will due
White Sauce Directions:
- Place the four, salt and pepper in a saucepan.
- Place the butter in the saucepan on the furthest side away from the handle.
- Hold the saucepan angled over the flame or burner so that the butter is heated, but the flour is not browned.
- When the butter is completely melted but not browned, remove the pan from the heat.
- Mix the flour, salt, pepper and butter all together until well blended.
- Add in a small amount of the milk.
- Place the saucepan back on the burner. Then heat and stir the mixture well.
- Add about a 1/3 more of the milk and continue to stir while heating the sauce.
- Then add in the remaining milk, still stirring while the sauce heats.
- Bring the mixture to boiling point while continuing to stir. Be sure to stir, because you don’t want to sauce lumpy.
- Once it reaches the boiling point, remove the sauce and it is ready for use.
- For a creamy scalloped cabbage with cheese dish, I double the white sauce recipe.