Wireless broadband is something that most homes should look into. The reason for this is that most people connect to the internet using more than one device. The number of laptops in the home has also increased and there is no point in having a laptop if you are only able to get onto the internet in one place. With wired connections, you will be limited to the Ethernet cable range from the router. There are a few ways that you can get wireless fibre optic broadband, if you do not already have it.
Why you should get wireless
The first question you may be asking is: why exactly do you need to have wireless? If you do not already have wireless, the first step is to consider the devices you have in your home. Do you have a laptop or another mobile device, like a tablet? If you do, then you are limiting what you can do with them. Laptops are able to connect to wireless broadband, and this gives you the freedom of sitting anywhere while still getting the internet. Mobile devices, like tablets, work solely off wireless broadband connections. If you do not have wireless home broadband, you are slowing down the speeds you could be getting on these devices and what you are able to do.
Getting a wireless fibre optic broadband package
Possibly the easiest way of getting wireless fibre optic broadband is to get a full wireless package. This means that your service provider will create the wireless connection for you. If you choose to go with this option, you should simply contact your provider and tell them that you want a wireless connection.
Depending on the package you currently have, you may need to upgrade. If you have a very basic ADSL package, but need more speed and data as well as a wireless connection, then upgrading to a fibre optic broadband package is ideal. When you upgrade, you will be sent all of the hardware you need to go wireless. A technician will normally do the installation for you too.
The hardware will generally be a single router, if you are working with one of the bigger providers. There are some small providers that still give their customers a router and modem. The single router providers are giving you a wireless router that has the modem built in. This is actually the better option, as you will not have as many problems. There are a few problems you should be aware of when getting the modem and router separately:
- The connection speed may be slower. The speed of your broadband may be slower when you use two devices. The reason for this is that the connection has to travel first through the modem and then to the router. If the wiring between the two devices is not very good then the speed will be slower.
- You need more space. When you have one device, you need less space for the hardware. With a modem and router you have to have space for both items.
- You cannot tell where the problem is. If you are having a problem with your broadband connection, you may have a harder time finding out where the problem is. You have to check both the modem and the router as well as the connections in between.
After your provider has sent you the router, you will either have to set this up yourself or a technician will come. If the technician comes, then you really have nothing to worry about as they will set up everything. If you are not getting a technician, then you will have to set up the router yourself. The provider routers generally come pre-configured, which means that all the settings are there. These devices will have an installation wizard that tells you what you have to do and when.
The set up of these routers is very easy, because of the pre-configured nature of the device. If you are not going to contact your provider, there is another option.
Getting your own router
It is possible to buy your own wireless router and set this up. If you are going with this option, you have to know that you might not get full support from your service provider. If something were to go wrong with your connection, the fact that you are using a generic router could cause some problems. This is why many people simply contact their service provider for a router.
If you are going for a generic router, you have to consider a few features of the router. It is important that you get the right router or you will suffer slow speeds and spotty connections.
- A firewall should be built in to your router. This is a basic safety precaution and should come as part of your router.
- Different encryption types. There are a number of encryption keys that you can use and the generic router you get should cover a few of them. WPA2-AES is the best key to use as it offers the best security. The problem with this key is that it may not be compatible with older hardware.
- The number of ports your router has. While you should not have to connect your computer to the router, it is best that you do have this ability. There are certain computers that may not be able to connect wirelessly, so you have to have Ethernet ports.
- The speed the router can handle. Routers are able to handle a certain speed level. You should get a router that covers the speed of your connection.
Once you have the perfect router, you will have to set it up. Most routers do have installation wizards that make it a bit easier. There is a lot of information you will need to provide, as opposed to the provider router. You will also need to ensure that all the security settings are correct, otherwise you are leaving your broadband connection open to abuse from other people.