It's nearly impossible to find a completely chemical free shampoo, even in the most prestige salons. Most professional hair care products contain chemicals that can be harshed on your hair and scalp. These chemicals include ammonium lauryl sulfate and sodium lauryl sulfate, or even salt that can irritate the eyes. If you want to make a shampoo that is as organic as possible, use a baking soda paste and follow it with a vinegar rinse a few times a week (find the directions in the tips and warnings for this method). If you perfer a shampoo that is natural and lathers some, the recipe is for one that can be or nearly chemical free. Simply make your own at home from this simple to make recipe for natural shampoo.
Things You'll Need:
- Baking Soda
- Vinegar (You can use white or apple cider)
- 2 tbsp Dried Peppermint
- 2 tbsp Dried Spearmint
- 1 tbsp Dried Sage
- 1 Cup of Water
- 1/3 Cup of Organic Shampoo (This includes brands like: Aubrey Organics or Pureology) (If you can't afford these, try a delicate baby shampoo or one that does not contain ammonium lauryl sulfate or sodium lauryl sulfate)
- 1 Egg Beaten
- 1/3 Cup of Milk
- To make a simple natural shampoo that is nearly chemical free, put the peppermint, spearmint, and sage in a small size sauce pan.
- Add the 1 cup of water and bring the mixture to a boil.
- Remove from heat and allow the mixture to set for 20 minutes. Do not stir during the 20 minutes.
- Filter the liquid from the solids. Dispose of the solids and keep the liquid.
- Mix the liquid with the baby shampoo and use as a normal shampoo.
- This completes the recipe of shampoo for people with oily hair. However, if you have dry hair or hair that requires conditioning, add the egg and milk to the shampoo and mix well.
Tips & Warnings
- If you are looking for a completely natural way to wash your hair, there is an effective method. Wet your hair and shampoo the hair and scalp with a baking soda paste. Rinse well and follow with a rinse made of equal parts of vinegar and water. Then rinse well again. The baking soda is an alkaline and the acidic vinegar makes it pH-balanced.
- If you prefer, you can substitute the herbs with other ones such as: comfrey, rosemary and chamomile. I personally like a mixture of jasmine and chamomile. I find it to be a relaxing scent. Lavender also has a very calming effect and can be used at nightime to help you relax and sleep better.
- There are people that use the method explained in step one and never shampoo their hair. It is just as effective of washing the hair as any shampoo is and is believed to be healthier by some.
- Please do not use this recipe on how to make your own natural shampoo if you are allergic to any of the ingredients mentioned.