Large cookies with decorations and writing on them are great for birthdays, Valentines Day and other special occasions. Very easy to make! Will come in handy when you need a gift at the last minute, or for anytime. It can provide a great alternative for kids that have more than one party. This way they are not all caked out and ready for your special treat!
Make the large cookie:
- Mix a box of yellow cake mix of your choice with 2 eggs, 1/2 cup of cooking oil and 1 teaspoon of vanilla together in a large mixing bowl.
- Fold in a 12oz bag of chips of your choice. This could be chocolate, white chocolate, peanut butter or a mixture to your liking.
- Add in pecans and/or walnuts. This is optional. Keep the receiver in mind, in case of a nut allergy.
- Lightly grease and flour a pizza pan.
- Put the cookie batter onto the pizza pan.
- Bake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 20 to 25 minutes.
Prepare the decorators butter cream frosting while the cookie is baking or cooling. Please note that the cookie will need to stay in the pan. Also note that the cookie will need to be completely cool before you decorate it.
To make the frosting:
1. Gather the ingredients
- 2 cups of vegetable shortening. I will avoid using name brands. However, with decorating frosting, the higher the quality of shortening, the better. This is one time, brand does matter.
- 1/2 cup of milk
- 1 bag of powdered sugar, 2 pounds
- 1 teaspoon of butter flavoring
- 1 teaspoon of clear vanilla flavoring, This must be clear. If you use the dark colored flavoring it will color your icing.
2. Cream the shortening and part of the powdered sugar together. Add a bit of milk, then a bit of powdered sugar while blending, then repeat. Do this until you have blended it all together. Then mix the vanilla and butter flavoring in.
* Use a high power kitchen mixture for this icing is very thick. This recipe for icing can easily burn up a handheld mixer. If the frosting is too thick, add more milk, and if it's to thin, add more sugar.
Frost the cookie:
Use decorators bags and tips to frost the cookie. Don't have any? Simply put some icing in a food approved plastic bag, such as a freezer bag. Now cute a small slit in the corner and squeeze away. These doesn't make good boarders, but works very well on writing. Also makes cleanup a breeze! Add food colorings to the icing to make different colors. Just separate out some frosting for each color. It will not be necessary to use all of the icing for one cookie. This icing will keep in the refrigerator for later use for about 3 to 4 days. Don't try to reduce or double this recipe. Many have tried with little success.