Fresh Mexican hot and cold gazpacho soup made with fresh vegetables and a bit of condiments. Make it with crunchy cold veggies just before serving your party guests cocktails and appetizers. Add the hotness to the level you and your guests like. Put extra cayenne powder in decorative shakers to increase the spice. Mexican gaxpacho hot and cold soup goes well with authentic Margaritas. Garnish with limes slices and cilantro leaves.
Ingredients for four servings:
- 1 cup sourdough or whole grain bread, chopped coarsely
- 1 diced clove garlic
- 2 tbsp. red wine vinegar
- 1/2 cup coarsely chopped fresh cilantro
- 1/3 cup diced fresh celery
- 1 tbsp. minced onions
- 1 1/2 cups coarsely chopped roasted red bell peppers
- 2 pounds fresh tomatoes, cut into quarters
- 1/2 cup cold water
- 2 tbsp. olive oil
- 1 tsp. cayenne powder or chili peppers
- 1 1/2 tsps salt
- 1 tsp.ground pepper
- Blend garlic, cilantro, onion, red wine vinegar and cold water in a bowl, then set aside
- Mix celery, roasted peppers, and bread in a blender until smooth, set aside.
- Puree half of the tomatoes in the blender, transfer to the bowl with peppers mixture.
- Puree remaining tomatoes, slowly adding olive oil and water if needed for desired consistency. Transfer to all ingredients.
- Add salt, pepper and cayenne; taste test and add needed ingredients for flavor. Refrigerate to a chilled state, about 30 minutes. Divide gazpacho among 4 bowls. Garnish with buttered toast points and cilantro.