Making a smoothie is a great way to start eating healthy. Fruit smoothies can also have spinach and other green vegetables added to them. Fiber is an important part of a healthy diet. The average diet in America fails to meet the daily fiber requirements, which is around 30 grams per day. Knowing that let's learn how to make a high fiber fruit smoothie.
* Blender or smoothie maker
* Peanut butter
* Plain or Vanilla Yogurt
* Almond Milk or Soy Milk
*Flax Seed or Flax Oil
Steps to Make a High Fiber Fruit Smoothie
To get started making a high fiber fruit smoothie take out all your ingredients. Using frozen fruit will eliminate the need to add ice (unless you like the texture of ice, then use it). Freeze your bananas, too. Putting them in the night before will do the trick, then run hot water over them before cutting them and adding them to your high fiber fruit smoothie.
1. Take 3 huge tablespoons of frozen raspberries and put them in the blender/smoothie maker.
2. Take 3 huge tablespoons of frozen strawberries and blueberries and put them in the smoothie maker or blender.
3. Add 1 cup of spinach. You can also add other salads and greens to make a green fruit smoothie.
4. Add 2 tablespoons of peanut butter. Try to find a no salt/sugar added peanut butter. It's hard, but worth it and you'll get used to the peanut buttery taste.
Two tablespoons is approximately 190 calories, 16 grams fat (3 saturated, the rest the good kind), and 16 grams of protein.
5. Cut and peel your frozen banana. Toss it in the smoothie mix.
6. Add 1 cup of plain or non-fat vanilla yogurt in the smoothie mixture. The best brand of yogurt to use is Mountain View Yoghurt. They use fructose, a fruit sugar, instead of regular sugar which makes it healthier.
1 cup plain yogurt is about 120 calories, 12 grams of protein, 18 carbs and 17 of them are sugar, good bacteria for your gut.
7. Pour the almond milk into your mixture. Using chocolate almond milk will help knock out the taste of the spinach. Not that the spinach makes it taste bad, but it just makes this high fiber fruit smoothie taste richer. There is not a specific amount of chocolate almond milk to put in the smoothie mix. Try just a couple splashes. The only "bad" thing that will happen is it will make the mix too watery or thin.
8. While it is blending add the flax seed. The flax seed is a good source of fiber. Make sure they are not whole seed though because the body wont process them.
You can also make a low fat strawberry smoothie, green smoothies, high protein banana smoothies or other variations of these ingredients to serve your needs. These smoothies are great for your health and good for those who need to watch their sugar intake, too. Even though this has sugar, it is fruit sugar and the high fiber smoothie contains protein.