This lemon butter cake makes a regular size, 9X13 cake. The cake itself has a nice lemony zest taste and it’s topped with a delicious seafoam, lemon flavored icing. This homemade cake and icing are both made from scratch. It makes the perfect addition to any feast. It offers a great dessert for those who are not allowed chocolate. Lemon flavored cakes are also great for spring and summer social gatherings. Citrus and summery fruit flavored cakes always have cool taste that is more preferred during the summer months. Spice and fall fruits have a warmer feel and are better for fall and winter dinners.
Lemon Butter Cake Ingredients:
- 1 1/4 cups of sugar
- 2/3 cup of butter, softened
- 3 eggs
- 3 cups of cake flour
- ½ teaspoon of baking powder
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- ½ teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 1/4 cups of buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of lemon extract
- ½ teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1/4 cup of vegetable oil
For the success of the cake, be sure to follow the ingredients step by step. Not following the order of the ingredients can cause the cake to be flat and/or hard. To bake better cakes, it's best to use a calibrated oven.
- Cream the sugar and butter together in a large mixing bowl. Blend until light and fluffy.
- Gradually add in the eggs, one at a time, beating after each addition.
- Next, mix in the vegetable oil.
- Sift together the flour, salt, baking powder and baking soda.
- Mix in the flour mixture, alternately with the buttermilk, beating well after each addition. Begin and end with the flour mixture.
- Beat in the lemon and vanilla extracts.
- Pour the cake batter into a greased and floured 9X13 inch cake pan.
- Bake the cake at 350 degrees Fahrenheit for about 45 minutes, or until the cake test done.
- Remove the cake from the oven and place it on a wire rack to cool.
- Prepare the boiled lemon icing using the recipe below.
Lemon Boiled Icing Ingredients:
- 2 cups of sugar
- 1 cup of water
- 2 tablespoons of white corn syrup
- 2 egg whites
- Pinch of salt
- Pinch of cream of tarter
- 1 teaspoon of lemon extract
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- Combine the sugar, water and the white corn syrup in a saucepan.
- Bring it to a boil and cook it until it spins in a thread.
- Beat the egg whites until they become stiff, but not dry. Add in the salt and cream of tarter.
- Once the syrup, spins a thread pour a light stream of the syrup into the egg whites, while constantly beating.
- After beating in all of the syrup, add in the extracts and beat well until the icing reaches the desired spreading consistency.
- Spread the lemon flavored icing on the cooled cake.
- Slice and serve. Store the cake in an airtight container at room temperature or in the refrigerator. While it is not necessary to store the cake in the refrigerator, many people think they icing taste better and stays moister in the refrigerator.
The lemon flavoring can be left out of the cake and substitute or totally omitted. Some people do not like a strong lemon flavor, so the flavoring could be left out of either the cake or the icing. A few drops of yellow food coloring can be added to the cake, if a dark yellow colored cake is desired. Use a yellow gel for the icing if desired.