Red Velvet Cake From Scratch Recipewedding cakes. It is a rather festive cake. Goes perfect with a holiday feast as it adds Christmas color and cheer to the table. Many recipes call for boxed cake mix. This is the real, totally from scratch way to make this cake. This recipe contains the traditional type of frosting for this cake called, butter roux icing. It is made of a mixture of boiled milk and flour. Many people believe that red velvet cake is suppose to be topped with cream cheese frosting. However, the butter roux icing is the tradition. The pineapple listed in the frosting is optional, and can be omitted since it's not the tradition. It does put a surprise in it.
Gather the ingredients for the cake:
- 1 cup of vegetable shortening
- 1 1/2 cups of sugar
- 2 eggs
- 2 ounces of red food coloring
- 1 teaspoon of salt
- 2 1/2 cup of sifted flour (use cake flour if available)
- 1 cup of buttermilk
- 1 teaspoon of baking soda
- 1 1/2 teaspoon of vinegar
- 2 teaspoon of cocoa
- Beat the shortening, sugar and eggs on high for a full 10 minutes.
- Make a paste by mixing the food coloring and cocoa together.
- Add the paste to the creamed mixture. Mix until completely blended, and the color is totally even.
- Mix the salt, vanilla, flour and buttermilk alternately into the mixture.
- Mix the soda and vinegar together, then put it in the mixture.
- Pour into 2 8-inch greased and flour cake pans.
- Bake for 30 minutes at 350 degrees Fahrenheit.
Gather the ingredients for the frosting:
- 3 tablespoons of flour
- 1 cup of unsalted butter or vegetable shortening
- 1 cup of granulated sugar
- 1 teaspoon of vanilla extract
- 1 cup of milk
- 1 cup of cup of drained crushed pineapple (optional)
- A pinch of salt
- Combine the flour and milk in a saucepan. Cook on low heat until it becomes thick. Add salt, set aside and allow it to cool.
- Cream the sugar and shortening (or butter) together, then mix in the vanilla extract.
- When cooled, mix in the flour and milk mixture.
- Separate out 1 cup of the frosting and mix it with the crushed pineapple.
- Spread the frosting and pineapple mixture between the cake layers.
- Spread the remaining frosting on the sides and top of the red velvet cake. Garnish if you like.
- Serve and enjoy!
- Pecan chips on the top, or whole pecans synchronized in an orderly pattern.
- Colored or clear crystalized sugar. Red and green for Christmas.
- Fondant cut out holly leaves and berries.
- Shivered or grated chocolate and/or strawberries.