Things You Will NeedFor the Gingerbread:
* 1 - 3 oz. package of instant butterscotch pudding mix
* 1/2 cup softened butter
* 1/2 cup lightly packed brown sugar
* 1 large egg
* 1 and 1/2 cups self-rising flour
* 1 and 1/2 teaspoons ginger
* 1 teaspoon cinnamon
* 1/8 - 1/4 cup milk
For the Trifle
* 1 recipe gingerbread, baked, cooled and crumbled
* 1 - 3 oz. package instant vanilla pudding mix
* 1 - 15 oz. can pumpkin
* 1 and 1/2 cups granulated sugar
* 1/2 cup lightly packed light brown sugar
* 1/2 teaspoon nutmeg
* 1/2 teaspoon ginger
* 1 and 1/2 teaspoons cinnamon
* 1 - 16 oz. container of frozen whipped topping
* Trifle (or any large, pretty) bowl
Step 1To make gingerbread: Preheat the oven to 350 degrees. Mix the dry butterscotch pudding powder, butter and brown sugar until smooth. Stir in egg. Mix separately the flour, ginger and cinnamon, then stir into the pudding mixture. If necessary, add enough milk to make a thick dough/batter. Mix or knead well, then pat out onto a parchment paper lined baking pan. (It need not covert the entire pan.) Bake 8-10 minutes, or until the center is cooked and the edges slightly brown. Remove from oven, cool and crumble.
Next, prepare the vanilla pudding according to package directions and set aside for five minutes or until thickened. Stir incanned pumpkin, sugars and spices, mixing well.
Step 2Assemble trifle as follows: place half of the crumbled gingerbread in the bottom of a large bowl or trifle dish. Pour half of the pudding/pumpkin mixture over the gingerbread, and then add a layer of whipped topping. Repeat all but the final layer of whipped topping. Cover with saran wrap and refrigerate over night. The next day, top with the final layer of whipped topping and garnish with sprinkled cinnamon.
Step 3An equivalent amount of cooked, pureed sweet potatoes may be used in place of the pumpkin, if desired.
The gingerbread mixture makes awesome stand alone cookies!
I promise you, this is no ordinary pretty dessert, this is one that makes your eyes grow wide and your mouth melt and your brain immediately begin plotting how to get the recipe! Enjoy!! Array