The Best Lasagna Recipe
I have been making this recipe for years, and have always been asked for the exact recipe. I just recently had some time to write it out for all to enjoy!
You Will Need:
- a large lasagna pan (u can buy a disposable one), if your not sure what size, try to decide how many slices you could get, typically each slice should be 2"x2"...
- barilla no bake noodles (you might need more than 1 box)
- 4 cans of Italian petite diced tomatoes
- 1 LG jar of pre-made sauce (something basic)
- jar of minced garlic
- fresh basil
- 1 bag of baby spinach
- one red onion
- one red pepper
- hot Italian sausage (1 package)
- 1 lb ground beef
- LG Ricotta
- LG Cottage cheese
- Ground Oregano
- Olive oil
- lemon juice
- shredded mozzarella or Italian mix (lg package)
- small package of grated parmesan
1. Mince the onions and peppers, put in a large sauce pan with about 4 tbsp. of oil over medium heat. Add salt and pepper generously. Once they are softened, stirring often, add the ground meat and the sausage. Remove the sausage from the casing. Cook until medium brown, make sure the meat is well broken up.
2. Add the 3 cans of chopped tomatoes, stir, then add the pre-made sauce, a bunch of garlic, a squeeze of lemon juice, a pinch of sugar, more salt + pepper. Chop well and add the basil. Let cook for about an hour over low heat with lid off so the liquid reduces, stirring often.
3. In a separate mixing bowl, combine, ricotta, cottage cheese, pepper, chopped parsley, 2 eggs, the parmesan, a pinch of nutmeg. Stir well. Set aside.
4. Take the 4th can of diced tomatoes, pour it over the bottom of the lasagna pan, making sure it covers it evenly.
5. Add the first layer of lasagna noodles. Add a layer of the ricotta mixture right on top of the uncooked noodles. Then take the spinach and put a small layer on top of the cheese. Then on top of the noodles add the layer of sauce.
Repeat step 5.
6. Add the final layer of noodles to the top, make sure you have enough sauce still. Cover the top layer of noodles with remaining sauce. Cover with tin foil.
7. Oven should be preheated to 375. Bake covered for 30 minutes. Take out of oven, uncover. Add shredded mozzarella or italian mix cheese, and sprinkle a little bit of oregano over the top. Put back in oven for roughly 15 minutes, or until cheesy is starting to brown and the lasagna is bubbling over.
If you want to make it ahead of time. as soon as your done with step 6, you can just cover it with saran wrap or aluminum foil and throw it in the fridge until your ready to put in the oven, then just follow the instructions from there