There are many Americans that fall in love with foreign nationals and wish to marry them here. Following a successful petition to the United States Citizen and Immigration Services and a successful K1 Visa application the foreign national would be allowed to enter the United States for ninety (90) days in order to marry the U.S. citizen making the petition.

This article will describe the process of from the petition to the application for the K1 Visa.

Things You Will Need

Two (2) Nonimmigrant Visa Applications, Form DS-156 (prepared in duplicate).

One (1) Nonimmigrant Fiancé(e) Visa Application, Form DS-156K

A passport valid for travel to the United States and with a validity date at least six months beyond your intended period of stay in the U.S. (unless country-specific agreements provide exemptions)

Birth certificate

Divorce or death certificate(s) of any previous spouse(s) for both you and the U.S. citizen sponsor
Police certificates from your present country of residence and all countries where you have lived for 6 months or more since age 16 (Police certificates are also required for accompanying children age 16 or older)

Medical examination (vaccinations are optional, see below)

Evidence of financial support (Form I-134, Affidavit of Support, may be requested)

Two (2) 2x2 inch photographs. See the required photo format explained in Nonimmigrant Visa Photograph Requirements.

Evidence of relationship with your U.S. citizen fiancé(e)

Step 1

The first step is for the U.S. citizen to make a petition to the U.S. government through the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services (USCIS). This can be accomplished by completing form I-129F Alien Fiance(e) and filing it with the USCIS office that serve your area. Form I-129F cannot be filed abroad. For information on where the office servicing the petitioner go to the U.S. Citizen and Immigration Services website.

Step 2

Once the petition has been submit to the USCIS office, it is processed. If approved it is sent to the National Visa Center and then forwarded to US Embassy or Consulate the foreign fiance(e) will be applying for the K1 Visa. The US Embassy or Consulate will send the foreign fiance(e) an invitation to apply for the K1 Visa. An appointment for an interview will be set and instructions to where to go to take the required medical examination will also be given to the foreign fiance(e) at this time.

Step 3

The foreign fiance(e) must now keep the medical examination and any other appointment directed by the US Embassy or Consulate to include the K1 Visa interview. At the interview the applicant will be fingerprinted. Also at this time the applicant shall present the interviewer with all the documents that have been required. The list of required documents can be found on USCIS website. Note that additional administrative processing may also be needed after the interview with the Consular Officer. If the petition or the application is denied, a reason will be given, upon request, and corrections can be made and then the process can be continued or restarted if need be.

Tips & Warnings

The petitioner and visa applicant may retain the services of a lawyer specializing in immigrations laws.

Have all required documents at the time of the interview is important as the process is long enough with having everything in order and extremely long when the applicant is not prepared.