Whether you are moving to a new location, storing items off-site, or simply packing items for safekeeping, you need to learn how to keep your belongings safe and in good condition. Although this endeavor may seem like a very simple task, packing and storing items can become a very challenging activity than you initially considered. To make things easier for you, here are a few tips for packing and storing your goods.
Basic Packing Guide
- Use strong, durable, and stackable boxes
- Use special boxes for items that are breakable and fragile.
- You can use towels and blankets to wrap breakable items instead of packing paper to save on money.
- Make sure that the boxes are completely filled before stacking them together to keep the boxes from collapsing and damaging belongings.
- If you are going to pack books and other heavier items, you must place them in smaller boxes so that they are easier to lift.
- When storing furniture and fixtures, use a shrink-wrap, blankets, or pads to avoid damage and rapid deterioration.
- It is also advisable to disassemble pieces of furniture for easier moving and storage.
How To Store Your Belongings
Clothes: When storing your clothes, it is best to use wardrobe boxes where you can fold or hang them on plastic hangers. There are heavy-duty wardrobe boxes that are best for clothes. It is advisable to properly hang dresses and pants so that they will be able to retain their shape. When storing shoes, you must not lay them on top of each other. Instead, you must separate the shoes by using cardboard as layers.
Bedroom Furniture: When storing bedroom furniture and fixtures, such as dressers and mattresses, it is best to store them in an upright position. A mattress can be stored on their side or can be inclined up against a wall. Remember though to cover these items with heavy plastics to keep out insects, bugs, as well as moisture.
Appliances: If you are going to store your appliances, such as your refrigerator, it is best to keep them in an upright position. Moving or storing a refrigerator on its side will damage it for good. When storing items, such as a computer monitor or a flat screen TV, you must use a sturdy box with surrounding packing.
Glassware and Dishes: When storing plates, you must wrap them individually with packing paper and they must be stacked on edge. Glasses must also be wrapped individually. Make sure that you provide proper cushioning below the items as well as above the breakable items. Lastly, it is crucial for the boxes to be firmly packed so that they won't easily get crushed.