A failing roof can severely lower the value of your home. Whether you are a handyman, or homeowner, it's invaluable to understand the causes of a leaky roof, and the methods used to prevent any future roof damage. Five of the easiest ways are listed below.
1. Chimneys are a common place for leaks or other problem build-up - it's very important to check that the caulking has been finished properly, and that flashing is also adequate.
2. Vent pipes - Not enough flashing on the roof could result in the deterioration of other roof parts, and much faster than normal. Take care to prevent this by regularly checking the vent pipes, and adding caulking when, and wherever possible.
Drip-edge leaks are difficult to spot sometimes, however these areas are particularly vulnerable. An improperly installed drip-edge may cause seepage. Check behind the sidings regularly.
3. Valleys in between roof slopes - during especially windy seasons like fall, dirt or leaves accumulate in this area and can result in rotting. Do not allow leaves to remain there for long, as they will lead to roof damage.
4. Remove old caulking in these areas, and apply new caulking.
5. For other roof types, check to see if any low-lying branches are growing over the roof. The leaves that drop into the drip-edge leaks will be a problematic situation in a few months time, if nothing is done. Remove the branches quickly.
With these tips in mind, fixing any small problem on the roof will help ensure that no roof damage can take place. When a storm comes, or heavy downpour, the steps you've taken to prevent the buildup of dust and leaves on the roof will bring you a sense of safety and heightened comfort.
A severely damaged roof can lower the value of your home, and even make it difficult to make the sale. Since every roof is at risk of becoming a leaky one, use the tips provided to ensure that all measures have been taken to prevent the damage to your roof, and extend its life span for the many years ahead.