Is there a location in your house that would be perfect for your computer but there is no internet connection? Does the thought of running yards and yards of internet cable run shivers down your spine? Well you don't have to put any holes in your floor or walls, simply set up a home wireless network.
Things you'll need:
- Wireless router
- Wireless card for your computer
- Determine if your computer already has a wireless adapter installed. Chances are, if it is a newer laptop it will already have a card and you would just need to buy a compatible wireless router. If it is a desktop, more than likely you will need to buy a wireless card for your computer and a wireless router. Don't let this scare you as they are both relatively inexpensive and are quite easy to set up.
- Purchase your wireless router and matching card for the computer if necessary. There are a number of different types out there but 802.11g is the most popular and universal. If your computer has an existing card be sure your router is of the same type.
- Install the wireless card in your computer following the manufacturers instructions.
- Next, you will turn off your existing modem (cable or DSL). Disconnect the cable from your modem to your computer and insert that cable into your new wireless router.
- Next, you will need to temporarily connect your computer to the wireless router to do the set-up on the router. This will involve setting up a network name, passwords, and security settings. This will vary depending on the router manufacturer and should be done according to the directions that came with the router. When complete you can disconnect the computer.
- Now, with the wireless adapter that has already been installed in your computer, simply click on the "Start" button, then select "Connect To". You will see a list of available wireless networks. Find yours in the list and then click "Select". It will ask for the password that created during setup. Simply type in the password and you are surfing the internet wirelessly!! Congrats!
- A word about the password: This password is very important and should not be something that can be easily guessed. Since you should only need to type it in that one time, make the password something impossible to guess. Mine is 64 random numbers and letters. I have it printed out incase I ever need it, but I don't have to worry about unauthorized access to my systems. ï»¿
Tips & Warnings:
Make sure that your router type is compatible with the wireless card in the PC
Choose a VERY hard password, preferably random characters with no meaning