DO YOU KNOW HOW THE EXPERTS DO IT?
A person with glossy voluptuous hair is more beautiful than a person who has thin and damaged hair. Good looking hair is the result of good health and good grooming and weak looking hair is due to careless health and hygiene. Now, which of the two would you like?
If you are not on the so-called beautiful side, you can take this worry off, by caring for your hair. When we change our hairstyle, we can change the shape of our face too. For instance girls with round faces should have long hair with long fringes at the sides. This will even the round shape and make it look less prominent. Long faces will look chubbier with blow dried voluptuous hair. You can do all the changes to your self-esteem if your care to keep your head nice.
The look of your hair can tell a lot about your mood. The stressed and depressed tend to lose the luster of the hair and damaged hair can itself causes stress.
Now let us look into something that every one of us does but more than half doesn’t know the correct way to do it.
Shampooing is to wash, cleanse or remove all the dirt or other impurities from the scalp and from the hair. Selecting a shampoo should depend on the hair type.
For dry hair, egg shampoo is the best. Avoid products with alcohol as this will cause the hair to dry further.
For oily hair, a mild shampoo can be used. If hair is oily even after the wash add lemon juice in warm water and rinse.
- Comb through the hair with a wide toothed comb to prevent tangles. Mix the water for a suitable temperature
- Wet the hair and scalp thoroughly.
- Apply shampoo on the hair by pouring it on the hands and never directly on the hair.
- Apply shampoo by massaging with the help of the fingers. Massage in circular motions. Make sure not to scrub or massage your scalp too much.
- Rinse the hair thoroughly.
- Apply more shampoo and massage hair if needed ( if you shampoo regularly, there is no need to lather twice).
- After the last wash, check hair lines and make sure that the shampoo is completely washed off.
- Dry gently by first squeezing out the water. Never rub, blot/dab the wet hair with a towel along the length of the hair.
- Avoid blow drying as much as possible.
Recipe for homemade shampoo
- 1/4 cup coconut milk (Use homemade milk)
- 1/3 cup liquid castile soap (almond is the best but you can choose your favorite fragrance)
- 1/2 tsp. vitamin E oil from capsules
- 20 drops of essential oil of your choice (lavender, orange etc.)
- 1/2 tsp olive oil for dry hair
Mix all the ingredients together and pour it in a shampoo bottle.
Shake well before using.
This shampoo can be stored and used for a month.
(With permission of wellness mama)
To attain bouncy and shiny hair, hair must be conditioned. Conditioning is very important for dry hair, as it provides it with the natural oil and increases hair volume, ultimately changing weak hair into bouncy one. For oily hair, conditioner must be applied only on the tips of the hair.
Damaged - Protein conditioner
Dry - Moisturizing or intensive conditioner
Oily – oil free conditioner
The secret to beautiful hair is a healthy scalp. If the scalp it kept clean and the oil balance maintained, the scalp performs its functions well. Each hair is made up of soft fibers so conditioning the hair is actually nourishing it. Conditioning also protects hair from dryness, and makes it smooth and easy to manage.
You can easily buy conditioners from any store, but the best of all conditioners and the most natural is henna.
Regarding the usage of henna, one must consult their hair dresser as henna doesn't suit every one and some may end up with a cold. People who are asthmatic should ask their doctor before using products with henna.
- After shampooing gently squeeze the water.
- Comb the hair using the fingers or using a wide toothed bath comb to remove the tangles.
- Pour a bit of conditioner to the hands and gently rub using the fingers
- Avoid applying conditioner on the scalp as this may cause dandruff.
- Leave the conditioner for 5 minutes.
- Carefully massage the hair to loosen the conditioner, Taking care not to overdo it as it may increase hair fall.
- Rinse the hair and remove the conditioner
- Now dry the hair as after shampooing.
Recipe for homemade conditioner
- 1/2 cup olive oil
- 1 tbsp. honey
- 1 tsp. lemon juice
- 1 tsp. apple cider vinegar
- 10 drops lavender essential oil (or any essential oil of your choice)
Add the lemon juice, essential oil and the vinegar to a bowl.
Add the olive oil and the honey in the blender.
Turn the blender on and pour the lemon and the vinegar mixture little by little.
After you have added everything together, pour in a bottle.
This homemade conditioner can be stored and used for a month.
Shake well before use.
Shampooing and conditioning are 2 basic things to know about hair-care. However, there are few other things that you should keep in mind when your aiming for healthy hair.
- The method of drying
When you dry your hair after a bath, make sure you squeeze out the water first. Then dab it dry with a towel. Remember not to wipe hair violently.
- Wet hair
Hair is at its weakest when wet. So, avoid combing when it is wet or use a large toothed comb.
Use treatment for dry or damaged hair once a week. Just like taking pills to cure you from fever, damaged hair needs some treatment.
Consume a balanced diet, rich in proteins and vitamins that boost hair growth.
Combing is actually a form of scalp massage and is very good for hair growth. Oil your hair at least once a week and comb it for 5 minutes afterwards.
Drink at least 8 glasses of water. Our nails and hair are made-up of the same protein called keratin. Like we get dehydrated, our hair and nails can get dehydrated too.
These day-to-day tips will ensure tht your hair stays healthy.
Thank you for reading. Please post your comments and suggestions below.