Some of us might use mobile broadband connections to access the internet. One problem we often face is when our friends come over and want to use the internet with us or you want to share it with your family members. How do we both access the internet without having to share computers? The steps below will describe the things you need to do to share your connection. Note: This guide is designed for users using Windows 7.
Things You Will Need
You will need a computer with wireless capability and your wireless broadband USB stick. The USB stick has to be plugged in to the computer and connected to the internet.
1. Open the control panel under the start menu.
2. Click on the 'Network and Sharing Center' icon. You can type it in the search bar in the top right of the window if you are unable to locate it.
3. After that, click on 'Change adapter settings' in the left panel of the window. A list of icons will show up in the window.
4. Look for the mobile broadband device icon, right click it and go to properties.
5. Click on the sharing tab on top, which is the fifth tab. Then tick the checkbox which says 'Allow other network users to control or disable the shared internet connection' (this is the third checkbox).
6. Go back to the 'Network and Sharing Center'. In the main window, you would see a computer icon with a plus sign which says 'Set up a new connection or network'. Click on that link.
7. A new window will pop up asking you to choose a connection option. Choose 'Set up a wireless ad hoc (computer-to-computer) network'.
8. Name your wireless network as you wish. This name would be used to identify the network that your friend has to connect to in order to share the internet.
9. Choose an encryption method, either WEP or WPA and set a password for the connection. It is important to set a secure password so that other users cannot have access to your internet connection. Try setting a password which has capital and small letters, numbers and symbols.
10. You are almost done! Go back to the 'Network and Sharing Center' and click on 'Connect to a network'. Choose the network that you have just created and connect to it. You will notice that it says 'Waiting for users to connect'.
11. Ask your friend to connect to the network you set up using her laptop and key in the password. There you have it! You have successfully shared the mobile broadband connection with another person.
Handy tip: You would have to connect to the network first before others can have access to the internet. This has to be done every time someone wants to share the internet with you. It is also advisable to save the password in your friend's computer so that they do not have to retype it every time they want to connect to the internet via your computer.