Marketing to Baby Boomers is lucrative because Boomers desire staying healthy, feeling youthful and looking young and attractive. They were the Woodstock generation, the generation that worshipped youth and rock and roll, and, as they say, rock and roll never dies.
Now Boomers, aging themselves, have started a commendable youth movement. Boomers want to learn ways to stay healthy and young looking and to convey that joy and enthusiasm for life has little to do with age. For that reason, Boomers want to learn about healthy life strategies and products to maintain a youthful appearance. After all, as Bob Dylan, musically stated, “May you stay forever young.”
Ways to stay healthy involve several strategies suggested by medical experts that should be practiced consistently.
- Regular medical check-ups are highly recommended. One can supplement regular doctor examinations with the free health screenings offered at health fairs.
- One must eat a balanced diet of fruits, vegetables, and whole grains, as well as protein sources, such as poultry, fish, milk, cheese, eggs, nuts, seeds, beans and soy or tofu.
- It is recommended to limit intake of foods that are high in fat, cholesterol, sugar and salt.
- Nutritionists recommend consuming much fiber, drinking a lot of water, and taking a supplemental multi-vitamin.
- Exercise is recommended to improve flexibility, prevent age- related loss of muscle mass and strength, and to improve endurance. Weight training exercise is recommended for strengthening muscles and for preventing osteoporosis.
- Regular cardio exercise, such as brisk walking, jogging, or cycling, etc. is good for preventing stroke, heart disease, diabetes, obesity, and can even decrease stress and anxiety.
- A minimum of 30 minutes of regular exercise three to five days a week is recommended, but daily is better.
- One should avoid excessive alcohol consumption and abstain from the use of tobacco.
- It is wise to practice stress-reducing strategies such as exercise, Yoga, and daily meditation.
- Adequate sleep is essential to a healthy body and mind.
Staying Young Looking
Maintaining a youthful appearance involves a commitment to a consistent regimen of trying to improve one’s physical attributes.
- One should regularly moisturize the face, hands and entire body. Dry skin is a telltale sign of aging. Moisturizing not only fights dryness, but also gives the skin a soft appearance and glow.
- One should regularly exfoliate dry, dead skin for a healthier glow.
- Though Vitamin D acquired from the sun has definite health benefits, Dermatologists recommend using sunscreen anytime one is outside.
- Few things make a person appear older than yellow teeth. One should get regular dental check-ups and cleanings and practice daily dental hygiene by brushing and flossing. Teeth whitening can be accomplished with over-the-counter teeth whiteners or the more potent variety of whiteners acquired from the dentist.
- Keep brows neat and trimmed. Remove facial hair as facial hair ages one’s appearance. Keep nose and ear hair trimmed as well.
- Those prone to dark circles under the eyes can eliminate them by using products such as Hylexin. Adequate sleep can help prevent puffy eyes and dark circles. Cosmetic products, such as cover sticks, can hide dark circles as well.
- Even though there are many trendy glasses frames to choose from, those who wear glasses might want to consider getting contact lenses for a more youthful appearance.
- Some Boomers opt for plastic surgery to improve aging facial features. However, there are less invasive alternatives. One can get chemical peels, Botox injections, as well as Restylane injections to fill in fine lines and wrinkles. The use of Retin –A does wonders to fight fine lines and wrinkles too.
- The fact that one is middle aged or a senior citizen doesn’t mean that he or she is destined to a life of wearing polyester and elastic waist bands. To have a more youthful appearance, one should wear color and dress in trendy styles, such as vintage tees and designer jeans.
To feel younger, one must put into practice all of the strategies for staying healthy and for staying young looking as outlined in the previous sections, as well as a few additional tips.
- One should look for the inner child and let him out every once in a while.
- One should look for and appreciate the beauty and joy in life.
- One should foster friendships and keep socially active doing things that one loves now, as well as activities that were beloved as a child.
- One should make a bucket list and live life as though each day could be the last.
Ultimately, one must remember that staying healthy and looking and feeling youthful is also a matter of a positive attitude. There is an adage that is wise advice for health and happiness: “Do what you love and love what you do.”