For safety (both yours and the cat's) never let a cat ride free in your car. Always give them the safety of a pet carrier.
Things You Will Need
Small nontippable dish
Towel or pillow
Step 1If your cat has not been trained to use a harness and leash, do this first.
Now that your cat has become accustomed to the harness and leash, it's time to introduce them to the carrier. Most people make a huge mistake because they use the carrier only to take their cat to the vet, so the cats quickly come to associate the carrier with unpleasantness. It's your job to make the cat's experiences with the carrier largely pleasant.
Set the carrier down in the middle of the floor, put a folded towel in the bottom, or your cat's favourite pillow, and a small cat toy inside the carrier. Now walk away and pretend to ignore the carrier. After a time, your cat will become curious and want to investigate. (If it doesn't work, pay attention to the carrier again, and then walk away. Repeat until the cat comes to check it out.)
When your cat goes inside the carrier, praise him or her in your normal fashion. If your cat responds to treats, give him or her a small treat to eat. Then walk away, and when your cat leaves the area, pick up the carrier and put it away. Repeat until the cat comes to associate the carrier with fun.
Gradually increase the length of the car trip--around the block, then perhaps to the park.
Once your pet goes into the carrier and rides in the car, it's time to take them someplace fun for
There's nothing like the joy of having a cat companion you can travel with. By teaching them to ride in a pet carrier, you will be able to take kitty everywhere with you without stress and amaze your friends as your pet will learn to love travelling with you.
Tips & Warnings
- Make sure your kitty has time to become comfortable with each step before you move on to the next one. You must be a patient teacher.
- There's no right or wrong amount of time that each step will take. Some cats will take to this easily, others will require many repetitions.
- Never take kitty anywhere without a harness and leash, for her or his safety.
- Never let your cat ride free in the car. Cats hate it and may end up endangering you and themselves and causing an accident.
- Although soft-sided pet carriers are popular, your pet will be safer in a hard-sided carrier. If you've ever seen the places some felines choose to sleep, you'll know that a folded towel or cloth in the bottom of their carrier is all they need for comfort and warmth.