Forgot your password?

How to Treat Mango Allergy

By Edited Jul 10, 2016 1 3

Mango allergy is an allergic reaction developed after eating mangoes. It is usually experienced by some individuals who are either allergic to mangoes or intolerant to the allergen found in mango peels. Typical symptoms of mango allergy usually include blisters around the mouth and severe itching. If left untreated, the allergic reaction usually takes several hours to develop, then progress to inflammatory conditions within 10 days, and finally clear up within approximately three weeks.

The substance responsible for causing mango allergy is believed to be urushiol, Urushiol is found not only in mangoes, but also in poison ivy, poison oak, poison sumac,cashew shells and the Japanese lacquer tree. Despite the fact that urushiol is a known allergen, processed urushiol is widely used in many products, including finishes, coatings, brake linings, urushiol lacquer and heat-resistant paint. The following list summarizes the properties of this substance:

1) Urushiol toxicity can be transmitted by pet animals. However, urushiol toxicity does not affect dogs, cats and some other pets.

2) Urushiol oil is a sticky, heat-resistant, resin-like substance that is not water-soluble. However, it is oil soluble and can be washed away with soap.

3) Urushiol is an alkaline oil with two hydroxyl groups. This means that this substance can be neutralized by an acid.

4) The toxicity of urushiol can remain potent on any surface for up to 5 years.

This article presents a method of treatment for mango allergy. The method of treatment recommended in this article is intended for research and informational purposes only and is not a substitute for medical advice, diagnosis or treatment provided by a qualified health care provider.

Things You Will Need

* Soap

* Hydrogen Peroxide

* Vinegar

* Ordinary Branded Toothpaste

* Clean Water

Step 1

Within 10 minutes after exposure to urushiol, wash the exposed area with soap or ordinary toothpaste.

Urushiol is not water soluble. However, this substance can be washed away from the affected areas with soap or toothpaste. Timing is very important! Urushiol can takes anywhere from minutes to hours to bind to the protein of the skin membranes, and develop into an allergic reaction. Once bonded with the epidermis of skin, urushiol oxidizes into a quinone and is impossible to remove with soap or toothpaste alone. It is important to wash the exposed areas with soap or toothpaste as early as possible.

Step 2

Soak a cotton cloth or kitchen towel withvinegar and hold it onto the exposed areas for a few mintues. Do that several times a day.

Urshiol is an alkaline oil. Since vinegar is an acid, applying vinegar to the affected areas will in effect neutralize the alkalinity of urshiol.

Step 3

Soak a cotton cloth or kitchen towel with hydrogen peroxide and hold it onto the exposed areas for a few mintues. Do that several times a day.

The chemical structure of urushiol contains two hydroxyl groups that can be chemically modified with an oxidizing agent. In the presence of hydrogen peroxide, urushiol oxidizes and polymerizes to form other less toxic urushiol derivatives.

Step 4

Moisten the exposed areas with clean water several times a day.

Both vinegar and hydrogen peroxide will cause drying, flaking, scabbing or even bleeding on the exposed areas. However, this step can prevent this condition from occurring.

Step 5

Consult a doctor if the situation fails to improve even after a week.
Mango allergy is an allergic reaction induced by urushiol, a substance found in mangoes and some other plants. This article presents a method of treatment for mango allergy. The method involves a) washing the exposed areas with soap or toothpaste in the first place to remove the urushiol which remains on the skin, and b) repeated application of vinegar, hydrogen peroxide and clean water to the exposed areas in ways to deactivate the toxicity of urushiol bonded to the epidermis of skin.

Tips & Warnings

The speed of healing depends on many factors, including; a) the person's susceptivity to urushiol, b) the thickness of the skin exposed to urushiol, and c) how much urushiol has been washed away from the exposed areas. According to my experience, symptoms of mango allergy usually disappear after three days with this treatment.


Jun 1, 2010 9:39am
I am currently following your treatment plan! Its been two days now and no sign of it getting better or worsening. When you said that it depends on the thickness of skin, did you mean its worse for thinner areas or thicker areas? Lets say you ate a mango, went to use the urinal, and now you have a situation downstairs... I showered immediatly after using the bathroom however its a pretty sever outbreak in a pretty sensitive area. Any extra tips would be great!
Jun 2, 2010 1:48am
I got this trick from earthclinic (http://www.earthclinic.com/CURES/poison_ivy.html). I thick the real trick is vinegar, not the washing process. This trick works for me and some other posters on earthclinic. Urshiol is an alkaline oil that can bind to the protein underneath the skin within a few minutes. Washing urshiol with another alkaline substance is probably not going to help very much.

On earthclinic, some posters recommend Ivy Dry, but I have not tried Ivy Dry.

Yes, I think it takes longer time for thinner areas to heal. The lips are more vulnerable to inflammation than the palms, simply because the skin of the palms are too thick for urushiol to penetrate through.
Jun 1, 2010 11:06am
My mother developed an allergic reaction to mangoes when she was in her seventies. I'll have to remind her to keep away from those other things that have urushiol (she was always extremely allergic to poison ivy). Thank you for the list!
Add a new comment - No HTML
You must be logged in and verified to post a comment. Please log in or sign up to comment.

Explore InfoBarrel

Auto Business & Money Entertainment Environment Health History Home & Garden InfoBarrel University Lifestyle Sports Technology Travel & Places
© Copyright 2008 - 2016 by Hinzie Media Inc. Terms of Service Privacy Policy XML Sitemap

Follow IB Health