My daughter introduced me to different ways of using coconut oil. I have it in my kitchen as I had read it was awesome to cook with and I love the aroma, reminds me of the tropics. But I wasn’t totally familiar with uses for outside the body especially the hair.
Below are 3 Ways I have found to really give your hair a boost without harsh chemicals. This is all natural and an affordable way to pamper your hair and skip the expensive salon treatments.Credit: amazon.com
Organic and Perfect for Hair
Add More Shine
If hair has become dull or you are just crawling out of heated houses from a long winter, this is a good way to get that shine and bounce back. Having shiny healthy hair makes you feel good all over so this is worth the time investment.
Allow a couple of hours for this process:
6 Steps to Shine
1. Take a scoop of coconut oil and place in a small bowl
2. Get a larger bowl and fill with hot water, and place the smaller bowl inside to start melting
(Microwave can overheat so allow time and use this hot water method)
3. Pour into your hands and then work it through your hair starting at the scalp
4. Wrap a towel around your head and wait for at least 2 hours for it to get to work
5. Shampoo and condition as usual and you will notice how soft and shinier your hair has become
6. Make this a bi-weekly treatment or at least monthly to give some shine back!Credit: amazon.com
Amazon Price: $3.29 $2.99 Buy Now
(price as of Mar 8, 2017)
Putting Coconut Oil in Hair for Deep Conditioning
Next time you wash your hair, allow an extra 30 minutes and you will love what this can do for you.
1. Wash your hair as per normal
2. Have a good scoop of coconut oil available (you may want to purchase a couple of jars, one for the
bathroom and one for the kitchen!)
3. Grab a scoop and rub between your hands to warm it up and then rub all over your wet head. D
on’t forget to go right to the ends and all the layers underneath.
4. Wrap a towel around your head for 30 minutes, then step back in the shower to rinse it off.
If you have super dry hair you could rub a tiny amount between your palms and then place on your hair especially near the ends as a leave in conditioner. You hair will feel really nice. My daughter likes to do a deep conditioning once a week, but it depends on the condition and dryness of your hair. Once you see just how nice it turns out you will want to keep a jar in your bathroom.
Using Coconut Oil to Get Rid of Tangles
1. Using a small amount of oil, rub between your palms to liquefy it and then starting at the ends or where ever special tangles form rub in this oil.
2. Using a wide toothed comb, comb the tangles out and style as usual leaving it in the hair
3. The trick is to not use too much as you don’t want greasy hair, but by using a tiny amount rubbed between your hands you can handle tangles after shampooing or even during the day after a windy walk or if it just naturally tangles. This will also add a bit of sheen to your hair as well and stop it from looking so dull.
The above tips are a natural way to get your hair shiny, conditioned and de-tangled without harsh chemicals or sprays. Enjoy!