The first thing that I would point out to those people who want to be popular is that you are not alone. Most human beings want to be well-liked on some level. There is a question of how popular you need to be, however. For most people, having a small to medium-sized group of friends and having the respect of their wider community is enough. But some people want, or need more than this.
Some people need to be popular for their jobs, of course, people like politicians and pop stars rely on having lots of people like them. Even when popularity isn’t absolutely essential, it can still be very useful for getting things done by others if you are say, a manager, or a leader, or you just need a favor from a friend.
It is also true that for the average person, the desire to be popular often peaks during their teenage years and in their early twenties, when being well-liked and having lots of friends seems particularly important.
Before I move onto my top 7 tips for how to be popular, I would like to point out that no matter how well-liked you are, there will always be people that don’t like you. Even the most popular music and movie stars still have some people who don’t like them. That, unfortunately, is a fact of life.
My top 7 tips for how to be popular:
- Greet others, smile and say hello whenever you see them. It sounds simple and easy and in many ways it is, but people appreciate a cheerful face and somebody being pleased to see them.
- Take an interest in other people and remember what they tell you – especially what is going on in their lives and what is important to them, things like their hobbies, where they live etc. Lots of people mistakenly think that to be popular, you have to be a show off, but often what people appreciate most is actually a good listener – someone who takes an interest in their life, problems, stories, jokes, ideas.
- Be kind and helpful to other people. People appreciate someone who goes out of their way to help somebody else.
- Take a pride in your appearance. That doesn’t mean that you have dress in all the most expensive and fashionable clothes, but you do always have to appear well groomed.
- Empathize. This means being able to see things from other people’s point of view. It is easy to get caught up in your own life and become self-absorbed, but the more you know and understand other people, appreciate how things are for them and get involved with their lives, the more popular you will be.
- Build trust and respect. Nobody who is distrusted will ever be very popular. Try not to tell lies, or talk behind people’s backs, and try to treat others with respect – that way you will win trust and respect back from others.
- Try to be confident and positive. As I mentioned earlier, not all your attempts at being popular are going to be successful. Try not to get angry or upset when things go wrong. Always try to remain cheerful and confident and never allow yourself to become bitter.