On 01-Jul-2011, the Employees’ Provident Fund Organization, India (Ministry of Labour & Employment Government of India) have introduced the facility for the people of India to view their EPF balance on their website.
Please follow the steps provided below to check your balance. The screenshots of the web pages are also given for your reference.
1. Go to their website. http://www.epfindia.com/. In the home page there is a link for "know your EPF balance". Click that link. It will take you to the page as shown in the figure 1.
2. Click the Click here link at the bottom of the page.
3. In the next page, select your state from the drop down menu. For example, in the figure 2 I have selected Tamilnadu as the state.
4. Once you have selected the state, the page will automatically load the list of PF offices in the state.
5. Select the PF office where your PF amount is deposited.
6. When you click on the office name, you will be taken to the next page as shown in the figure below.
7. In the next page, you have to enter the PF account number, Name as it appears on the PF slip and your Mobile number.
8. Read the terms and conditions and select the I Agree check box.
9. Submit the form.
10.You will receive the PF balance information through SMS.
EPF Balance in A/C No. TN/MAS/XXXXX//XXX is EE Amt:Rs 50000, ER Amt: Rs. 20000 as on 01-09-2011 (Accounts updated up to 31-03-2010).
The important things to note in the SMS are,
EE Amt: Employee Contribution
ER Amt: Employer Contribution
Account updated date given in the brackets.
If you receive invalid PF account number error, then enter the account number in correct format.
Kudos to the indian government for providing such a wonderful tool, people now can avoid long queues at the PF office to know their balance. They can now receive it with few clicks on the internet. That is really cool.