So you have a wonderful batch of freshly harvested honey, but no buyers. With this article, I hope to give you a few tips as to how you can create your own market, selling honey from your house. By following these, few simple steps you can easily earn $500-$1000 a month, selling honey from your own house.
- Believe in your product. Honey could replace sugar and reap many more health benefits, as well as many other medicinal benefits. Most people know honey, and the benefits; you do not have to explain much.
- Offer customers raw (sugary) honey as well as the golden syrup variety.
- Selling honey is not like selling a house. If you win a customer he could probably end up being a customer for life, and you could be sure that he will buy from you regularly.
- Consider your price. If you are a beekeeper yourself you will be able to sell your honey much cheaper than the shops, and you will still be able to make a good profit. Do not be greedy, people will come to your house and could buy up to 10 jars of honey at a time.
- You do not have to label your honey, since the users are not very particular of the label, as long as the intrinsic of the jar is good. If you end up selling your product to shops, they will most likely want to put on their own labels.
- If you believe in your product, it should not be a problem to market it. Start with your friends and family and tell them the benefits of honey. Present them with your product at a price much cheaper than that of shops.
- Do not despise the day of small beginnings. Be grateful for each small sale you make, it will pick up after time goes on. Word of mouth marketing it one of the most powerful marketing models and it could work very well for you. When you go to a city or town, always walk with a small basket of three or four jars of honey and ask shop attendants if they would like to buy some. They might be happy to buy from you, and later you might get an opportunity to sell directly to the shop. Even if it is a car salesman he could place a few jars on the counter or take regular orders for staff and family. You’ve got nothing to lose and you will be surprised by people’s reaction. Again, it is not a house or car you want to sell them and the process is different.
- Place adds in the local newspaper.
- Make small cards with your contact details to give someone when they buy from you.
- Give honey away as presents – This is a very good way of marketing your honey. If you’re selling jars are quite big you may consider using smaller containers when giving it as presents.
It will take a month or two to start the word of mouth business, but once people know your business, the larger orders of 20 – 100 jars will start to come in, which is the ones that will make a huge difference. It all starts with selling the first one and being persistent. You will be amazed by the business you can build in 3 months. As the saying goes, “If you take care of the pennies, the pounds will take care of themselves.”