Learn why your pooch behaves the way it does
Follow these simple steps to easily complete home dog DNA testing
The goal of doing a dog DNA test is to collect epithelial cells from inside your dogs mouth, on the cheek specifically.
- Prepare you dog by making sure he doesn't eat for about a 1/2 hour before the test, I'd shoot for an hour just to make sure.
- Wash your hands thoroughly
- Inspect the dogs mouth to make sure there are no food particles around
- Unwrap the testing swab from the dog dna testing kit
- Vigorously rub the swab on the inside of the dogs cheek
- Immediately put the swab into the plastic container
- Complete the contact information form
- Send the dog dna testing kit to the lab
Note: If you have multiple dogs in hour household you need to make sure they don't share a food or water bowl for about a week before the test.
You should receive the results in about 2-3 weeks. I think you'll be amazed when you learn what breeds your dog really is. I know I was shocked, but it really did explain my dogs love of water. In the end I was very pleased with the results of the dog DNA test.
Where can I get a dog DNA testing kit?
Here's a great resource to pick up a dog DNA testing kit, it's available on Amazon and the price is the cheapest I've ever seen.
If you need it here's some more information on doing a dog breed test.