Learn why your pooch behaves the way it does
Dog DNA testing is an easy way to find out exactly what breeds make up your mutt. Learning the exact breed makeup is a great way to gain some insight as to why your little buddy behaves the way he/she does. Doing dog DNA testing does NOT involve taking blood or inflict any pain at all on the animal, in fact it's a quick, easy and painless procedure. Follow the steps below to learn how dog DNA testing is easily done at home.
Follow these simple steps to easily complete home dog DNA testing
The goal of doing a dog DNA test is to collect epithelial cells from inside your dogs mouth, on the cheek specifically.
- Prepare you dog by making sure he doesn't eat for about a 1/2 hour before the test, I'd shoot for an hour just to make sure.
- Wash your hands thoroughly
- Inspect the dogs mouth to make sure there are no food particles around
- Unwrap the testing swab from the dog dna testing kit
- Vigorously rub the swab on the inside of the dogs cheek
- Immediately put the swab into the plastic container
- Complete the contact information form
- Send the dog dna testing kit to the lab
Note: If you have multiple dogs in hour household you need to make sure they don't share a food or water bowl for about a week before the test.
You should receive the results in about 2-3 weeks. I think you'll be amazed when you learn what breeds your dog really is. I know I was shocked, but it really did explain my dogs love of water. In the end I was very pleased with the results of the dog DNA test.
Where can I get a dog DNA testing kit?
Here's a great resource to pick up a dog DNA testing kit, it's available on Amazon and the price is the cheapest I've ever seen.
If you need it here's some more information on doing a dog breed test.