A tattoo is forever, so it pays to look for an awesome Tattoo Artist who will give you an amazing tattoo you will absolutely love.
Tattooing is an art form that has developed into a phenomenon. There are Artist whom will blow your mind with what they can do. And then there are those who shouldn't be allowed to hold a tattoo machine. Back yard operators or 'Scratchers' are often self-taught via the Internet. A true Tattoo Artist hones their skills in a Tattoo studio as an Apprentice, for around 3 to 5 years . They are taught by other skilled Artist's whom have developed their techniques over time.
Your tattoo day will be in your mind for a long time, it's not just about the tattoo but the process as well.
WHAT MAKES A FIRST-CLASS, TATTOO EXPERIENCE & ARTIST
The most important part of finding the right Tattoo Artist, is their skill. Although enjoying the experience and the Tattoo Artist's company is definitely a bonus. When examining a Tattoo Artists work, look closely at:
- Lines - Are the lines straight, solid and appear to be done with one pass?
- Colouring or Shading - Is the shading/ colouring even? (No blotches or extreme colour un-evenness.)
- Do the outlines meet up? Does the colour stay within the lines?
- How well do they tattoo scripting (Writing?) This is a very difficult skill and is a great indication of where your Tattoo Artist sits on the ability scale.
- Over-all Tattoo - Do they CONSISTENTLY produce good quality work? Doing a completed tattoo requires experience. Knowing how to professionally finish off a tattoo is usually developed over time. Each Artist will have personal tricks and techniques, to complete a quality design.
- Artistic vision - When they have designed a tattoo, was it unique? Are they capable and confident doing a wide variety of designs?
- Ability to draw - Can they draw?
- Do you like their style?
As a bonus, an exceptional Tattoo Artist and a pleasant tattoo session, creates a lifelong memory. Even though skill is the main attribute to take into consideration when choosing an Artist, some of the below will just top off your experience:
- Consideration - cares about your pain and comfort levels.
- Smells good. (NO body odor.)
- Does not consume alcohol before or during your tattoo session.
- Charges according to their skill level and reputation.
- Length of time tattooing - do they have skills only experience teaches?
- Offers knowledgeable aftercare suggestions.
- The space the Tattoo Artist is working in is clean and uncluttered.
- Carries a reasonable, yet not too involved conversation. (They do after-all need to concentrate.)
- DOUBLE BONUS - a splendid bit of eye candy helps the hours pass.
HOW TO PHYSICALLY FIND YOUR DREAM TATTOO ARTIST
The best way to find the most talented Artist is to ask around. Word of mouth is one of the most honest forms of advertising. People will tell you the truth, or you can look for yourself, all Tattoo Artists will have or should have, a portfolio available to look at in their studio.
•On-line - Creditable Artists will often have a website.
•Magazines - Grazing over tattoo magazine, researching popular Artists.
•Tattoo Shows - Every capital city in particular have tattoo shows.
•Word of Mouth - Talk to everybody, ask to see their work.
QUALITY TATTOO ARTISTS ARE AVAILABLE AROUND THE WORLD
WHAT TO LOOK FOR WHEN CHOOSING A TATTOO ARTIST
There are many styles of tattooing available, which one you go with will be entirely up to you. Determining the style of tattoo will be enough to begin looking for an Artist.
This is your starting point - What kind of tattoo do you want; Colour, black and white, old school, small, large, cartoon, realistic, a portrait and the list goes on.
Once you have determined which style you want, then you can start looking for your perfect Artist.
CONSIDER THE FOLLOWING WHEN CHOOSING A TATTOO ARTIST:
•Distance - How far distance wise are you willing to go. Usually, the most talented Artists are based in Capital Cities.
•Style - what style do they specialize in?
•Is there a portfolio or website you can look at their previous designs.
•What is their reputation like? Do you know anyone who has a tattoo by this person?
•Money - Good tattoos aren't cheap. (Don't ask for a discount, you're only cheapening their work.) A good to great Tattoo Artist will charge relevant to their skill, this is not an event to skimp on.
•Is the shop sanitary? Do they ALWAYS use new needles, EVERY TIME?
•Do you like the inside of the studio? Do you feel comfortable in the physical environment and the general atmosphere. You're going to be sitting there a long time and all adds into the experience.
•Time Frame - How long until they can fit you in. Popular Tattoo Artists can have waiting lists months (even years) long. What is your maximum wait time for your favorite Artist?
AMAZING TATTOO ARTISTS ARE WORTH EVERY PENNY
BEFORE YOU GET YOUR TATTOO
•Visit the studio, organize an appointment with the person whom works there.
•Bring in your design or an outline of what you would like to have in your tattoo.
•The Artist will discuss size, length of time, cost, what colours will work, what can be done, what they can realistically do.
•Have a day or two to think about the finished design. Do you like it still?
•Check other work done by the Artist to ensure that yours is original, and not a regurgitation of a previously done tattoo
•Check your chosen Artist out thoroughly beforehand, while there is time to back out if you change your mind.
•Pay your deposit and secure your tattoo appointment.
Tattoo removal is really not a viable option. Many of the current procedures do not completely remove the old tattoo, often only fading it. The most popular, laser removal, hurts more than the tattoo ever will. The new ink that is used in today’s Tattoo Studio's, do not respond well to current methods, so choose wisely and avoid removal.
It is worth doing the research into an Artist as there is amazing Artists available all around the world. Pay that little more for the most talented Artist, you won't regret it.