Australia's warm climate, beautiful beaches and vibrant economy makes it a popular place for people looking for work or a change in lifestyle. For the country of its size, Australia's population is still relatively low. The government has increased the migrant intake every year to help boost the economy of Australia and fill the demand for skilled workers.

For people looking to migrate to Australia and find work, there are a number of visas available. Like most governments around the world, Australia does not allow people to do any kind of work on a tourist visa. If you are caught working on a tourist visa you will be deported and more than likely won't be able to return to Australia for a number of years.

The easiest way to work legally in Australia, is the working holiday visa. The Australia working holiday visa program is a reciprocal one and is available to people from the following countries: Belgium, Canada, Cyprus, Denmark, Estonia, Finland, France, Germany, Hong Kong, Ireland,
Italy, Japan, Korea, Malta, Netherlands, Norway, Sweden, Taiwan and the United Kingdom.

There is also a work and holiday visa available for people from Chile, Thailand, Turkey and the United States. It works in a similar way to the working holiday visa. The visa is available to young people aged from 18 to 30.

Even though Australia does have some unemployment, it also has a shortage of skilled people working in specific industries. It is possible to get a skilled visa based on your qualifications and experience in a specific profession.

If you are interested in applying for a skilled visa, you should first check if your occupation is on the Critical Shortage List (CSL). The jobs on the CSL are mostly engineering and medical related occupations. The occupations on this list receive higher priority. The other list is the Skilled Occupation List (SOL) and includes both professional jobs and trades, such as plumber and hairdresser.

Qualifying for the working visa (Skilled - Independent Visa - subclass 175) involves having enough "points". Points are given for such things as English speaking ability. You need to get at least 120 points for the skilled independent visa.

Next you needWorking visa for Australia to get your qualifications assessed by the appropriate industry group. For IT and computer related jobs for example, this is done by the ACS (Australia Computer Society). You will need to get a medical checkup and get a police clearance. You probably won't eligible for a visa if you have committed a serious crime.

If you are married, your spouse and children should also be eligible to move to Australia as secondary applicants.

The application can take up to a couple of years to process. There is a great deal of documentation that you will need to collect to apply for the visa. Visa agents are available to assist with your application, but their fees can be expensive and you will still need to collect all of the required documents anyway.

There is also the cost of the visa to consider. The medical check up and qualification assessments are further costs. Then you need to think about the moving costs to Australia. Australia's job market can be volatile in times of economic downturn, so you will need to have fairly considerable savings behind you while you wait to find a job.

If you a foreigner, have an Australian partner and have lived together for at least 12 months, you might want to consider the defacto visa.