In a previous article I wrote how businesses can create a Facebook page to promote their business. Once you have the page set up, obviously you want to get as many people as you can to it. Facebook has an advertising system which is going to cost you some money, but if can you are also going to want to utilize free methods available to save money. In some cases the free methods will be more effective.
Here are ten tips for getting more fans:
1. Make sure you create a custom URL (sometimes called a vantiy URL) which reflects your business and is easy to remember. People will then be able to find your page by going to:
You cannot change it later so it is important to get it right from the start. I have noticed Google indexing these URLs so you will get some traffic from Google if your URL contains words people use to find your business.
2. Ask your existing friends to become fans of your page and suggest that they also ask their friends to become fans. It is a good way to get the ball rolling and if your friends have many friends themselves, this alone could have a viral affect.
3. Add links to your Facebook page from your website or blog. Promote it like you would do in any other business intiative. Facebook has a variety of widgets called the Facebook fan box (which is now the Facebook like box), which look appealing as they show updates of your page and some pictures of the fans of your page.
4. Update your Fanpage regularly with new content and encourage your fans to also add pictures and video. Interact with your fans on the page and respond to any problems/complainsts quickly. If you have a discussions area set up, start discussions that are likely to get people talking. It is also possible on your page to create a "private" area only for fans. It's human nature for people to want to see what is in the private area and people won't be able to resist becoming a fan.
If you have a blog or any kind of website that has an RSS feed, you can add the RSS feed to your page so updates go automatically there.
5. Run a competition outside of Facebook to promote your Facebook fan page URL and to get people to join.
6. Add your Facebook URL to your email signature and all of your employee's URL signatures.
7. Send out a press release which contains your Facebook page.
8. Add your Facbook page to social book marking websites.
9. Create a Faceook group that is related to your business in some way and is somehow compelling for people to join. You can then use this group to promote your Facebook page.
10.Use either social networking sites like Twitter to promote your page.
Do you have any other ideas for promoting your Facebook fan page? Please leave them in the comments!