When the going gets tough, the tough get going- A lot of us hear this often but I would like spend some time dwelling on this. What is the most common propensity when one is faced with adversity- we spend way too much time thinking about the adversity. Questions like why me, why now, what did I do to deserve this surface. I would suggest that we just take a step back and view the situation at hand in a different light. Maybe we have lost a loved one, maybe you just lost your job, maybe you are in deep debt... whatever the situation, brooding over it is not going to help. I know this sounds easier said than done. Let me try and list down some simple steps one can follow to deal with adversity:
- Don't feel bad for yourself- Self Sympathy is the worst.
- Ask yourself what can I do to better the situation- For eg: When you lose a loved one, while you deal with the loss and the grief associated with it, take a few minutes to ponder- how can I value life more? What can I do different with my life? Do I truly value and nurture the relationships that mean the world to me? If the answer is no, take corrective action.
- Divert your mind, pursue a hobby that has probably taken a back seat in your life. It could be photography, pottery, painting or just reading!
- Meet positive people, stay away from the ones that make you feel miserable and bring all the negative thoughts back
- Keep assuring yourself that there is light at the end of the tunnel
- Keep calm- Medidate, listen to music, get a body massage- indulge in something that would help relax your mind, body and soul.
And most of all, tell yourself that every cloud has a silver lining. Staying positive is the only way out of adversity!